K8T800 vs. nForce3...

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

K8T800 vs. nForce3...

Post by Illuminati »

So, NVidia's nForce3 chipset, for the AMD 64-bit processors, seems to have some stability issues for some people.

And VIA's K8T800 has shown to be a slightly superior chipset.

Give your thoughts about anything on this topic!

Have a nice day!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
drexor69
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by drexor69 »

No thoughts really, just observations.

The NForce 3 has serious ECC issues and won't allow you to run the Hypertransport bus at full speed.

The KT8 works without a hitch and has better performance from what I've seen. 10 to 15% as a matter of fact...
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

What a switch! It used to be I would get a cold feeling when I heard the word...VIA...
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

all very interesting... I'm curious how the nForce3 solution will work out with the 939-pin version of the 64FX.... which I believe will eliminate the ECC/Registered memory part... Time will tell...
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
morosis
Legit User
Legit User

Post by morosis »

Perhaps we'll have to wait for a chipset revision before we see the sweetness that nForce2 showed us.

Would be interesting to see another review in say 6 months time when the chipsets have had a revision or two. In any case, I'm not planning on buying A64 until the platform is tested and the bugs worked out! :P

Maybe it's just me, but I like my puter stable. I did a lot of research before finally settling on the Abit NF7-S v2.0, and it hasn't let me down yet.
Sex is like software, it's better when it's free.
kpothuwila
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by kpothuwila »

I reckon nVidia lost the dual channel advantage they had with NF2 compared with Via KT chipsets.
Now the memory controller is on the cpu, nVidia don't have the same advantage anymore.

Thats why NF3 is not living up to our expectations as NF2(compared with Via K8T800)

I think the next revison of NF3 will be the one that includes support for 939 pin Athlon FX & regular RAM.

Anyway I'm not considering an upgrade to Athlon 64 yet, still trying to get a 2500+
drexor69
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by drexor69 »

The chipset doesn't care how many pins the CPU has. Any chipset that works on any "Hammer" platform will work with any of the CPU's, you simply need to build the correct features into the board such as which socket or support for registers. The memory controller is on the CPU now...

The only difference I see between the 150 and the 250 is Gbit LAN...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I think that is honestly the only difference that I am aware of also.