Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe And Memory

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe And Memory

Post by top »

I just bought this board so I can do some sli. The board's stock RAM is rated at DDR400 (PC3200), but on front of the box it says "Corsair XMS3500LL Ready".

I read a little more and you can do some major overclocking on this board. I don't like to overclock though unless the manufacture does it for you. But the manual states the memory can be overclocked to up to 800Mhz!

And there's memory out there as DDR500 (PC4000), but then I see no motherboards out there (that I can find) that have DDR500 as stock.

I see in reviews that people use DDR500 on the A8N-Sli Premium board, so with that said I know I can use DDR500 on the A8N32-Sli Deluxe.

The question is would it be considered overclocking if I add DDR500 to the board and set the bios to make the memory clock at DDR500? Will the FSB on the board be overclocked then as well?

It's just a little confusing since I couldn't find boards that have DDR500 as stock.

Thanks again LR!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

As far as I'm aware the reason DDR500 was out was so that people could overclock their CPU's and not have to overclock the RAM as much.

Bumping up your FSB (or whatever AMD uses) to make your RAM to DDR500, will overclock your CPU. Unless there is a divider that lets you do DDR500 from everything else stock.

What CPU do you have? Depending on its multiplier, bumping up to DDR500 may be just a mild OC so would be fine.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

AMD64 CPU's have support for the 500MHz divider, and that board does too!

There's no performance benefit of running the RAM @ 500MHz though unless your using very tight timings. AMD loves low latency not high MHz when it comes to RAM.
Your best bet is to overclock the CPU. That board is "easy" to OC with too.
Just set the RAM to run 3-4-4-8 with 2.6v and start overclocking ;)