pci-e vs amd64

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

pci-e vs amd64

Post by grunt »

Thats what Im wondering, will pci-e be better for me with the ddr2 (maybe a 5900 for now since 650 for the ati is outta reach) vs a amd64 with that 6800le? Reminder, Im a gamer!!! I've always had amd's except for my 1st pc (a pentium pro 180 lol) I really liked ur review on the abit lga board and now Im wondering...
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I would say that the price premium on the LGA775 system is to high as you need DDR2 and PCIe. If your going to buy now and you want top of the line with an upgrade path then go for it but be prepaired to shell out the cash. If you can wait then i would hang on for a mth or two when PCIe hits the AMD platform with the new VIA chipset. If you do this you will also get the finachal reward as the new 90nm flood the market and drive down the price, then you can snag a 939 3000+ for $150 and a PCIe mobo for $150-200. That puts you under the starting point for the LGA775 ($152 for AA8 + $190 3.0 530 + $246 for 512 DDR2 = $588) . i did not include the price of a PCIe video card as you would be buying that anyway, but you could use your existing DDR in the AMD system, you can also use DDR1 in some less expensive 915 intel boards but that is somewhat pointless as the LGA775, and PCIe both depend on that memory bandwidth. So with out any objective testing thats my reasoning behind sticking with AMD.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

why didnt you just say so? lol Awesome man, been wanting to know if AMD is going to come out with pci-e anytime soon and you gave me the answer Ive been looking for. Once again this site is a major help, a month or so would be awesome since i am going to leave in 2 weeks for some training and be back towards the end of November, just in time :)
infinitevalence wrote:I would say that the price premium on the LGA775 system is to high as you need DDR2 and PCIe. If your going to buy now and you want top of the line with an upgrade path then go for it but be prepaired to shell out the cash. If you can wait then i would hang on for a mth or two when PCIe hits the AMD platform with the new VIA chipset. If you do this you will also get the finachal reward as the new 90nm flood the market and drive down the price, then you can snag a 939 3000+ for $150 and a PCIe mobo for $150-200. That puts you under the starting point for the LGA775 ($152 for AA8 + $190 3.0 530 + $246 for 512 DDR2 = $588) . i did not include the price of a PCIe video card as you would be buying that anyway, but you could use your existing DDR in the AMD system, you can also use DDR1 in some less expensive 915 intel boards but that is somewhat pointless as the LGA775, and PCIe both depend on that memory bandwidth. So with out any objective testing thats my reasoning behind sticking with AMD.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=m ... =61&page=1

If your interesting in what your looking forward to.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

and for some more... its INQ so dont belive all that you read, but if it looks like nf4 smells like nf4 and sounds like nf4 then it must be...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19026