D975XBX: LAN problem

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
mamboknave
Legit User
Legit User

D975XBX: LAN problem

Post by mamboknave »

I'm building a PC (XP based) and I cannot activate the ethernet LAN interface on the D975XBX board.

The System/Hardware tab shows no network adapters.

When I try to install the LAN SW/drivers with the CD that came with the board, it stops before completing the installation with an error similar to this (right now I cannot spell it out exactly):

"Your hardware does not have any PRO... subsystem"

Meaning, I believe, that the installer cannot detect the LAN subsystem on board.

Note that I also checked the BIOS and it sais that LAN is enabled.

If someone can give me directions for debugging an dmaking it working, I would really appreciate.

Thanks.
IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: D975XBX: LAN problem

Post by IRQ Conflict »

That is odd. It's the XBX and not the XBX2 right? BIOS version? Has it ever worked in the past? This build, is it used parts?
-Rampage- Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 Ram: 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 @ 540Mhz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB/4x 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 Raid 0 Power Supply: PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad Case: Antec P180B Monitor: Syncmaster 245T OS: Vista 64bit
mamboknave
Legit User
Legit User

Post by mamboknave »

- It's a brand new XBX, not XBX2.
- BIOS is the latest available at Intel: BX97510J.86A.1487.EB.EXE
- I'm using is first time. Never used in the past.
- I'm assembling the PC with brand new parts only.

Continuing debugging with no luck.

Intel tells me it's an obsolete, unsupported board.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Is the lan enabled in the bios. If it is disabled that would explain why its not being found in windows
mamboknave
Legit User
Legit User

Post by mamboknave »

XstollieX wrote:Is the lan enabled in the bios.
Certainly it is enabled. I verified. Additionally, the BIOS is rev.1351 which should not present any LAN problem.

But still, I cannot see any LAN adapter in the Device Manager of Windows XP.
Instead, under Device Manager => System Devices, I see five lines referring to the Intel 82801 controller:

82801 PCI Bridge - 244E
82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express root port - 27D0
82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller - 27DA
82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI Express root port - 27E0
82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI Express root port - 27E2

Again, LAN drivers fail to install because they do not see the on-board LAN subsystem.

I really would appreciate any hint or direction (but I do not want to add another LAN card).

Hope someone can help. Thanks!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Damn dude...this is beginning to look like intel violated you..I know this has probably been covered by you already but since I haven't seen it posted yet(or I'm blind), I'm gonna be the stickler that asks.. have you had a chance to try downloading the most likely updated lan drivers from their website? Obviously from another pc.. I know they still offer most of them for that board when I checked the other day..like said, i didnt see anything bout the drivers from their website posted on here so I thought I'd toss that thought out..I rarely use drivers from the cd as they are usually outdated by then
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
mamboknave
Legit User
Legit User

Post by mamboknave »

InspectahACE wrote:have you had a chance to try downloading the most likely updated lan drivers from their website?
Thanks for asking.
Yes, as second chance I tried also with the CD (which failed, as in my very 1st post here), because the latest Intel LAN drivers (that I downloaded) failed first with this error msg:

"Cannot install drivers. No Intel Adapters are present in this computer" :(
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Well golly......you know, If it was me, and if the board was brand new..id send it back. Way too much BS to enable the LAN and its not even found at all . Call me early quitter but, id send it back and get a new board(not same model either) maybe the xbx2 or something..But get one that IS currently supported and not discontinued/unsupported. I wouldn't doubt that this was the reason or one of the reasons for it being unsupported/discontinued lol (see note below)

Edit: I have no experience with the xbx boards, I don't like Intel motherboards. Never have since my first computer was on an intel mobo..Did it work yea, but not without alot of issues..Hell i had to get a usb card just have working usb ports on it..Their chipsets are darn good tho..but if you have to have another revision of a board come out(not just for cpu/ram reasons either) obviously there was a gnarly issue with it (i do know that not all xbx boards were crap) ...My opinion anyway
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Reset the BIOS/CMOS

Unplug your system, yank the CMOS battery and set the CMOS jumper to clear the BIOS. Let it set at least 10 minutes. Move the CMOS jumper back, put the battery back in, power up the system.

This is what I had to do to get my LAN back when it just up and quit one day.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

hmm..I never thought of that...i always forget the good ol reset the cmos
mamboknave
Legit User
Legit User

Post by mamboknave »

bubba wrote:Reset the BIOS/CMOS
Done & Negative... nothing changed.

I'm close to giving up and installing another LAN card.

Last resource: update the BIOS (although the release notes do not describe any LAN fixes).
spexxy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by spexxy »

I had the same problem.

In Bios my "ON Board LAN" was DISABLE, i had to enable it.....