i7 920 / CM V10 Really bad temps.

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
GobLox
Legit User
Legit User

i7 920 / CM V10 Really bad temps.

Post by GobLox »

So I ran my 920 at 4.2 right out of the box but have steadily be reducing Core Voltage in an effort to get temps reasonable. Now I'm running 3.8Ghz at just 1.25v and still getting into the mid 80s on the cores. I've reseated the cooler many many times. Used both the Sample CM product and Arctic Silver 5. I've spread it out with a razor, with a golved finger, I've done the line method per Arctic Silver; had the best luck with the line.

I guess my first question is; where does the CPU Temp number come from that is shown in the Lan Party Utility from DFI? It's the number that is usually listed as TEMP0. So I was assuming it was a thermistor on the mobo. Is it actually a sensor on the chip? I see so many people listing temps with the TRUE and V10 V8 and I have to wonder where they are getting there temps cause all the screenies I see never show core temps. ... and I just plain uninstalled speedfan as it does report core temps but they are about 20 degrees lower than Core Temp/Realtemp/HM.

I guess my point is that if all these reported temps are coming off of TEMP0 or speedfan; and I never looked at core temp, I would think I was in the clear I guess. My "CPU" temp on temp0 is about 60C right now at full load; I guess I'd figgure I was all clear.

If nothing else, all future reviews should include Core Voltage and a screenshot of where the temps are coming from.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
(222.68 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: i7 920 / CM V10 Really bad temps.

Post by InspectahACE »

not sure...but something isn't right there..shouldn't be that high since you have the D0 stepping which is supposed to be a tad better with temps and overclocking than the C0 stepping..I use the LCD poster for temp readings..Plus Asus' Probe software has been as accurate as the motherboard so I'll trust those before I trust RealTemp/CoreTemp personally. I posted a pic with the Hyper-Threading on...that's as hot as it gets for me. i hit 85C once during the summer when i didn't have the a/c going...so why it gets hotter for you im not sure..either climate, or the cooler really isn't seated afterall..or it's possibly a defective cooler(i got one at first but CM sent out new one extremely fast and has been a beauty since)..I would say the temp reading come from Core0..but im not really sure on that one
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
br4dz
Legit User
Legit User

Re: i7 920 / CM V10 Really bad temps.

Post by br4dz »

My bet is that you haven't disabled Hyper-Threading. By disabling Hyper-Threading, you'll effectively cool down your i7 920 by ~15C. Saw the same results when disabling Hyper-Threading on an i7 860.