intel d975xbx2 red light no power

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
littleman379
Legit User
Legit User

intel d975xbx2 red light no power

Post by littleman379 »

ok i upgraded video cards from a 8600gt to a pny gts-250, the new card has a six pin adapter which i plug in....i put the card in and windows 7 installed it, i restarted the computer, once it was back on i installed the actual drivers, i was online for a few minutes and boom, computer shut off, so i tryed to get it back on and a couple of red lights flashed for a couple of milliseconds but the computer didnt turn on the fan on the gfx card moved a little too..so i put the 8600 back in and boom it turned right on and was working perfect...somebody please tell me whats going on..i tryed 2 of the 3 pcix16 slots (cant fit the card over the third led wires in the way) and nothing just red lights... if i take it out of the pcix16 slot and leave it hooked up to the 6 pin power, the computer boots and the fan on the gfx card runs..i was thinking about new mobo anyways...could it be my psu?
-3.2 pentium d
-2gb corsair
-600w psu
-alienware liquid cooler
-1 250gb ide
-1 250gb sata
-please help brian

one more note..the lights that come on are the one above the ram..its a little to the right and the other one that goes off is near the 4 pin connector to the mobo
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: intel d975xbx2 red light no power

Post by bubba »

PSU may be going bad, the lights being red/amber are the motherboard saying the PSU isn't giving it enough power.

The PSU may have been week, plugging in the GTS250 could have been what was needed to push it over the edge.

How old and what brand is the PSU?
Do you have a volt meter?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
littleman379
Legit User
Legit User

Post by littleman379 »

no volt meter about 1.5 years old and its a cheap psu i got it with my case off of ebay, i think its starpower...some cheap chinese psu
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Yeah, might want to pick up a new one.

Take a look at Corsair

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139005
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
littleman379
Legit User
Legit User

Post by littleman379 »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817182102 what about this one, 800 continuous and modular it looks real nice
Divide Overflow
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Divide Overflow »

I'm not a big fan of Rosewill but you could do worse. I had one of their 800 watt units die on me. I chose Corsair as a replacement and have been very happy with them so far.
littleman379
Legit User
Legit User

Post by littleman379 »

i went ahead and bought it...all the reviews people were very satisfied..they said that the company has their products made by somebody else now and are alot better, i figured ill try it.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

If I had to guess it would be the power supply IMO.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
littleman379
Legit User
Legit User

Post by littleman379 »

i replaced the psu and its still not working with the graphics card...no more red lights that i can see just, a clicking noise the fans barely move and nothing happens, the power switch stays lit up like it is running but it is not running