Processor issue with Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 ???

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
sygnus21
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Processor issue with Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 ???

Post by sygnus21 »

Anyone have an issue the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 and the i7 930 processor booting up with the the F1 BIOS the board is shipping with?

I've heard some stories of people purchasing the board with certain processors (notably the i7 980x) only to find out the board won't post unless they update the BIOS. But here's the "catch"..... You can't update the BIOS unless you have access to an i7 920 or equivalent because the board won't post with the "unsupported" processor.

See this review "beware of older BIOS with Core i7-980X (Gulftown 32nm)" at newegg.com - http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6813128422
You can also check this thread here and read post# 10 - http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-x58a ... ost-38950/

Do I have to worry about this with the 930 seeing that this is also a "new" processor? I don't want to purchase the board only to find out I have to...

a) Ship it to the manufacture for a BIOS update,
b) "hope" to find someone who's willing to loan me their 920 for the update,
c) Return it.

Also, other than USB 3.0 and SATA 6, any reason why I shouldn't get the board I initially wanted - the Intel DX58SO.

Thanks.
New to "this" forum, not forums!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Processor issue with Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 ???

Post by Apoptosis »

I showed your post to Gigabyte and this is what they said:

The Core i7-930 is based on the Bloomfield core and will post with BIOS F1. The forum member who posted on your site provided links that are for booting issues with the Core i7-980X (Gulftown core), which does need a newer BIOS to post.
Hope this helps and it appears that the Core i7-930 will work fine in that board.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sygnus21
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sygnus21 »

Thanks Apoptosis,

I actually called Gigabyte's tech support before posting here and they said the same thing, but...

I just wanted to hear from other users. I was planning to get the board from Micro Center since they're local to me, but when I asked if they would flash the BIOS should there be a problem, they said they would...for $30 dollars. What???

At any rate I feel a lot better now, should I get this board. BTW, what can you tell me about the DX58SO? It's the board I was originally set to get, and it's $90 bucks cheaper.

Thanks
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

$30 to download a rom file to a flash drive... plug it into the system... load the BIOS update utility by hitting f8 and then selecting the file and hitting enter? Man 5 minutes of work for $30... I'm in the wrong business!!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sygnus21
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sygnus21 »

sygnus21 wrote:Thanks Apoptosis,

BTW, what can you tell me about the DX58SO? It's the board I was originally set to get, and it's $90 bucks cheaper.

Thanks
So what can you tell me about the DX58SO motherboard???
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It's a great board if you don't need USB 3, SATA III or going to be doing crazy overclocking.
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

If you do any high overclocking for any extended time you're going to need to put a fan on the chipset like here http://forums.legitreviews.com/about17151.html

It gets a little temperamental if you don't.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
sygnus21
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sygnus21 »

Well I went with the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 last week. The system is up and running without issue. I haven't done any overclocks yet, its fast enough as is.

Thanks.