D975XBX2 - Add more disks (non raid)

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
nico
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

D975XBX2 - Add more disks (non raid)

Post by nico »

Hi

I've got an Intel D975XBX2 kitted out with 4 sata drives occupying the 4 black intel slots (no raid).

I need to add more disks to the board and was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can go about using the blue Marvell sata slots.
Where can I get working Marvell drivers and can I install them directly into Windows?

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I tried attaching a disk to the first available blue slot but nothing showed up in disk management (or device manager for that matter).

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Nico
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: D975XBX2 - Add more disks (non raid)

Post by InspectahACE »

Two questions...

Is it a brand new drive?(I'm assuming so)

Did it show up in the bios?

If it did you probably need to type in "diskmgmt.msc" in the run command. If it shows up there you more or less have to format it to show up in Windows 7. Happened to me when I replaced my VelociRaptor drive a week or two ago.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
nico
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: D975XBX2 - Add more disks (non raid)

Post by nico »

First off, thanks InspectahACE for your reply.

I managed to solve the issue myself. It was pretty easy using bits and pieces of information gathered from this forum so I thought I'd share.

First, I enabled the Secondary Raid Controller in the bios.
Then when I booted up, it found the controller but couldn't find a driver.

If you go to intel's support, you can download the driver here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... 8&lang=eng
and download one of these files:
STOR_all64_f6flpy64_1.2.0.7105_PV_Marvell.zip (for 64 bit) or
STOR_all32_f6flpy32_1.2.0.7105_PV_Marvell.zip (for 32 bit).

Unzip it somewhere and open the Device Manager. You'll see the controller in the Other Devices section (with an exclamation mark next to it).
Right click that and select Update Driver Software. Browse to the folder you unzipped previously and load the driver.

That's it.

-Nico