Intel Bx975xbx2 due for upgrade - - but what ??

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Intel Bx975xbx2 due for upgrade - - but what ??

Post by srt »

Hi all,
As in the header,
I've run my old Intel Bx975xbx2 for a while now and its dragging in the processor region as you will see :(
Trouble is its so long since I did a revamp ( Last hd was 12months ago) so is there anything that I may fit in the Antec?
I am thinking intel still - - -maybe Asus board. Also views on memory/cpu ?
What's got me thinking is the present setup struggles with Civ 5 !
Grateful for any pointers thanks.
Stuart.

Asus Rampage formula III. WD Raptor 600gb sata hdd+WD Raptor 300gb sata hdd+plextor sata cd/dvd writer, 6gb crucial ballistix ddr3, intel i7 950@ 3.07ghz ,Geeforce GTX 285 vid card, creative x-fi, Antec true blue 750+Antec P180.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intel Bx975xbx2 due for upgrade - - but what ??

Post by Apoptosis »

srt wrote:Hi all,
As in the header,
I've run my old Intel Bx975xbx2 for a while now and its dragging in the processor region as you will see :(
Trouble is its so long since I did a revamp ( Last hd was 12months ago) so is there anything that I may fit in the Antec?
I am thinking intel still - - -maybe Asus board. Also views on memory/cpu ?
What's got me thinking is the present setup struggles with Civ 5 !
Grateful for any pointers thanks.
Intel is launching new mainstream Sandy Bridge processors along with the new Intel LGA1155 socket at CES 2011 in Jan 2011. If you are wanting something mainstream you might want to wait for that before building a new system. It sounds like your current rig should be able to hold out for another month or so. This new socket will usher in P67 Express motherboards.

If you are looking for a higher-end system the Intel X58 platform is still solid.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Thanks for that.
Yes, my present stuff just about manages. Trouble was I did a check over on some site to see what type of game my rig could run and was a little choked :oops:
I saw the asus Rampage formula looked good but find that it's not available in UK :evil:
I will prolly need to rethink and check out the points you made ----- no point rushing at this stage :roll:
Thanks again.
Stuart.

Asus Rampage formula III. WD Raptor 600gb sata hdd+WD Raptor 300gb sata hdd+plextor sata cd/dvd writer, 6gb crucial ballistix ddr3, intel i7 950@ 3.07ghz ,Geeforce GTX 285 vid card, creative x-fi, Antec true blue 750+Antec P180.
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Ha, So much for my waiting and see.
My sister is visiting from NY and it seemed too much of a temptation to NOT ask her if she might pick up a "Rampage iii formula". So I did not resist and the board is here with me now :lol:
Now I have to work out what memory and CPU to fit.
Any views on that or should I pop over to the specific group 8-[
Stuart.

DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

srt wrote:Ha, So much for my waiting and see.
My sister is visiting from NY and it seemed too much of a temptation to NOT ask her if she might pick up a "Rampage iii formula". So I did not resist and the board is here with me now :lol:
Now I have to work out what memory and CPU to fit.
Any views on that or should I pop over to the specific group 8-[
Guess that kills my Gigabyte recommendation ](*,)

Don't know what is available in the UK but:

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227424 or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231304

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115211 for under $500 USD
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Thanks for that DaddyRabbit :)
I got the intel i x 950 and some corsair dominator ram (6gb) here but it was dearer ----as usual :x
The asus board was good price from J&R in NY ( where sis lives) but I forgot about the tax :roll:
I have problems tho ----- which I am posting in different thread ](*,)
"Bootmngr missing" Not sure its a software or hardware issue but perhaps admin will correct :?
Stuart.