LGA775 mobo bent pin?

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

LGA775 mobo bent pin?

Post by Kaos Kid »

I bought a parts computer for $15 that still had the DVD drives, media reader, psu, mobo and cpu in it (HP/OEM ASUS PTGD-LA w/ P4 630 cpu) but when I examined the mobo more closely something was shining funny on the socket. Being an AMD fan, this is the first time I had seen an LGA775 socket up close. Being too small to tell with my naked eye, I pulled out my trusty Canon SD1100IS on macro mode and was able to capture this image which shows a bent pin.

I can't understand how just that one pin was bent back upon itself but none of the others are, lol. Is this something that HP would have done to limit some feature that the mobo should normally be able to do, or is just a weird coincidence? And if it was random damage would it be something that would have ruined the mobo, or would I be able to fix if I somehow were able to use a sewing needle and a magnifying glass to bend it back in conformity with its brethren? Or should I just trash the mobo and put another in its place? Thanks for any insights you can give!
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LGA775 mobo bent pin?

Post by Apoptosis »

looks like random damage to me... I've seen hundred of LGA775 motherboards and all the pins are consistent.

I know they have pin diagrams online, maybe it's just an unused pin (crosses fingers).
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
skier

Post by skier »

definitely not how it ships lol

i'd try bending it back with a mechanical pencil or a knife blade maybe
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

OK thanks. The hard part is seeing the darn thing, my eyes just don't focus on things that small and at close distance. Pins on older cpus were much easier to deal with.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
skier

Post by skier »

Kaos Kid wrote:OK thanks. The hard part is seeing the darn thing, my eyes just don't focus on things that small and at close distance. Pins on older cpus were much easier to deal with.
magnifying glass and a flashlight do wonders
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

skier wrote:
Kaos Kid wrote:OK thanks. The hard part is seeing the darn thing, my eyes just don't focus on things that small and at close distance. Pins on older cpus were much easier to deal with.
magnifying glass and a flashlight do wonders
Yep, they did, along with a sewing needle and about 15 minutes of fumbling I got the pin bent back and I got it to boot into bios! Turns out the goof that owned this also screwed up the heatsink at two of the plastic connector shafts, but a little superglue got it usable again (fingers crossed). I'm thinking that between the bent pin and the broken hs/f that is why he sold the box so cheap, so it may be renewable as a whole computer again instead of just a parts box. Not bad for $15, eh? The only downside is the mobo has no PCI-E16 slot, so its limited to 128MB onboard graphics or a PCI card. Oh well, it would make a great surfer and word processor I guess...

I will try to sell the mobo/cpu/hsf as a combo on CL, maybe I'll get lucky...