which mb power cables to use

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
jweav2010
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

which mb power cables to use

Post by jweav2010 »

I just installed a D955 extreme /4mb l2/ @ 3.46Ghz CPU on an INTEL D975xbx2 MB. 8Gb G. Skill DDR2, Raptor w/ XP2 waiting for Win 7.
I was plagued by the CPU LED and VR (volt. regul.) LED being red indicating potetial overheating.
According to Intels product guide for the MB:
" Failure to use the appropriate power supply and/or not connecting the 12 V (2x4)
power connector to the desktop board may result in damage to the board or the
system may not function properly. Then without skipping a breath it informs the user ..
"Do not use the 2x2 to 2x4 adapter when using an Intel® Pentium® processor Extreme
Edition or a processor that is not running at its default settings. Doing so may result
in damage to the desktop board.
3. Connect the 1x4 power supply cable to the 1x4 connector.
4. Connect the main power supply cable to the 2x12 connector" page 50 of guide.
On anoher product spec INTEL reveals you MUST use the 2x4 connector to control th Voltage Regulatol.
So I took a chnce- like money grows on trees rght- and plugged the 2x4 powercord with the standard 2x12 power cable.
Walla instant computer. RED LEDS diappeared! Gotta udpate a ton of drivrs and the bios.
so what other connectors have others had succes or problems with?
thanks
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: which mb power cables to use

Post by Major_A »

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about. I don't really understand what the issue was.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: which mb power cables to use

Post by bubba »

Ok, the 1x4 (molex) connector near the video card is for the Crossfire setups. It provides additional power to the board to compensate for the power draw on the motherboard slots multi video cards have.

The 2x4 or 8pin CPU power cable, and the big 2x24 or 24pin main ATX power cable are whats needed to fire the board up.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson