Board not detecting RAM

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
gsk_308
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Board not detecting RAM

Post by gsk_308 »

hi all,
i recently took a new configuration.specs are below.
Borad : Intel DQ670W
Processor : i5 2400
Ram : 4 x 4 GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz

now the problem is if i put all the 4 RAM modules, the system starts but i get nothing on the screen. the keyboard and mouse are not getting the power.
the board has a 1333MHz bus speed. if i remove 2 RAM modules, the system boots up fine and i have no problem. the specs of the board says it will support 32GB RAM. i am only trying to put 16GB.
what is the problem and am i missing something?
can any one help me out please.....................
KnightRid

Re: Board not detecting RAM

Post by KnightRid »

no first hand experience but the Intel site - http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... q67ow.html - says it only accepts - Support for DDR3 1333 /1066 MHz DIMMs - those speed memory modules, not the 1600 you put it.

You would think it should run the faster stuff but i have run into this problem more and more for some reason. I would try to put some slower speed memory in all 4 slots and see if it boots.

I would also suggest calling or emailing Corsair to see if they have any memory tested to be working with this motherboard. Their website does not include it for the memory finder as they seem to be lagging with updating the site.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Have you updated the BIOS with the latest version? The latest BIOS on your board just came out on 8/15/2011 and it is version 0054

You can use something like CPU-Z to check the BIOS version that you are running. You can get it here - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html and you'll need to look at the mainboard tab.

Also what memory speed and voltage are set in the BIOS?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
gsk_308
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by gsk_308 »

thanks guys......will update the bios and check again....
i checked with the CPU-Z and i see the memory tab shows the freq and clock speeds.the freq never goes beyond 666. why is that??
and just for understanding why is my system working with just 8gb (with 1600 MHz dimms) and not when the others are placed.totally confusing........
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

gsk_308 wrote:thanks guys......will update the bios and check again....
i checked with the CPU-Z and i see the memory tab shows the freq and clock speeds.the freq never goes beyond 666. why is that??
and just for understanding why is my system working with just 8gb (with 1600 MHz dimms) and not when the others are placed.totally confusing........
Honestly, I have no clue why it works with 8 and not 16. I just know that I had the exact same problems already with 2 motherboards (both by Intel interestingly enough - DX58SO was one of them, cant think of the other) that would not accept higher speed memory. One of them would not take it at all and the other board would only take 2 chips and not 4, just like yours.

I know INtel used to be a pain in the ass for memory due to them making the voltage so low you had to buy the speed and voltage they tell you to or it just wouldnt work.

Maybe it is the voltage requirements that is causing the problem after the first two..?? I just learned never to try and put higher speed memory on an Intel board unless it specifically said I can use it in the specs. Well, that and I learned to stay away from Intel boards when I wanted to overclock :mrgreen:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
gsk_308
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by gsk_308 »

well seems like i have been a bit too optimistic with INTEL boards. hoping that it will accept overclocking and higher freq dimms. now i either have to find a higher wattage psu and see if that works or get lower freq rams and check. either case i have to invest some more money on it......... :(
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

gsk_308 wrote:well seems like i have been a bit too optimistic with INTEL boards. hoping that it will accept overclocking and higher freq dimms. now i either have to find a higher wattage psu and see if that works or get lower freq rams and check. either case i have to invest some more money on it......... :(
the psu will make no difference. I would invest in memory that is in the range INtel says for the board and also make sure the voltage is correct on the memory. I had one board from INtel that only accepted under 1.5v I believe it was....really stupid how they make motherboards that wont work with all memory.