Is this Motherboard History?

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
madferraristi
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Is this Motherboard History?

Post by madferraristi »

I have an older motherboard D845PEBT2. Something rather strange is going on with it. The machine that it was in was running just fine, it had an 80GB SATA Drive in it with no issues. If it matters, XP pro. However, I decided to step up something better.

I bought it's replacement, got it up and running, also with a SATA Drive, but with W-7 (yuk). I needed the data from the Drive in the old machine and as has always been my practice, I attempted to install the install the old drive as a secondary, it would show up in the Bios but not after booting up. Hmmm,that's odd.

I researched the problen online and somebody who had the same issue was told to "Hot Plug" the drive after boot up, he said it worked.

I tried it and after Hot Plugging, if I then re-booted it was available. I retrieved all my data and removed it.

OK, now back to the old MoBo. I replaced that original SATA drive, turned it on and it will not boot. It satrts up and goes to the pre windows screen that asks if I want to start Windows normally or in Safe Mode, etc. No matter which I choose, it just goes round and round.

I tried putting in a known, old IDE, XP Drive and it does exactly the same. Next I tried booting from a Windows Install Disc, and it says there is no drive present, regardless of which of the two drives I have in the machine.

Any ideas here at all?

Mike
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is this Motherboard History?

Post by Apoptosis »

Mike,

You are working on an Intel 845PE Motherboard that came out in 2002 and is roughly 10 years old. Having a motherboard last 10 years is a huge success considering back then they didn't use solid caps and the quality of components that we have today. You can find used D845PEBT2 motherboards on Ebay for roughly $35, but I wouldn't invest any more in that system since it is a decade old.

You can try putting in the windows install disk and doing a repair on the OS (or just replace the boot sector) as you likely tweaked something hot booting stuff. You also might want to make sure you put the IDE drive jumper in slave or secondary mode when using it with the SATA drive.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:You can try putting in the windows install disk and doing a repair on the OS (or just replace the boot sector) as you likely tweaked something hot booting stuff. You also might want to make sure you put the IDE drive jumper in slave or secondary mode when using it with the SATA drive.
100% agree - I would also go one step further and try to do a clean install of Windows if you have all your important data backed up. It really sounds like a Windows problem and not the motherboard.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

It could also be a SATA issue. Some older motherboards with only SATA I slots do not work well or at all with SATA II drives, let alone SATA III. See if there's a jumper on your new drive to switch it over to SATA I.