Memory Issue with DG43RK Motherboard

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
IRMan
Legit User
Legit User

Memory Issue with DG43RK Motherboard

Post by IRMan »

I recently purchased a new boxed Intel DG43RK board to upgrade a fairly old system. When I start it up I get the three beep memory error using two 2GB Crucial memory sticks that I know work in another system. I ended up taking the board to a large PC store and had their techs look at it. They tried several types of memory sticks from a single 4GB stick to two 2GB sticks and nothing worked. They said they use Crucial memory since they find they are the most compatible. They noticed that the case fans were running slower than normal during boot, so they tried a different power supply but the same problem. The tech finally put in a 1GB stick and it booted to the BIOS! However, when he added a second 1GB chip he got the same memory error. He mentioned that the three beep error occurred immediately, that there usually is a slight pause before the beeps start. He said he never experienced this kind of problem.
These are all the symptoms. Any ideas what's going on?
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Memory Issue with DG43RK Motherboard

Post by vbironchef »

What is your CPU? Is your memory DDR2 or DDR3? I think we need to know more about your components before we give advice. So please fill in the blanks. What O.S. are you using? Have you updated your drivers and flashed your bios to accept the new motherboard? Stuff like that.
IRMan
Legit User
Legit User

Post by IRMan »

Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
Board only accepts DDR3
Running Windows 7
Haven't updated any drivers or BIOS since I can't even get it to boot.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I am going to say the obvious, check your connections and make sure your cpu is seated properly and thermal paste is applied correctly. What kind of cooling do you have for your cpu?
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

One more thing that might be your issue. Does your keyboard use a usb cable or do you have the pin type? I remember with my Intel badaxe2 motherboard it would not boot unless I used the pin type connector for my keyboard and mouse. Hope that helps. Once I was able to load windows and drivers I could my usb cable keyboard and mouse.
IRMan
Legit User
Legit User

Post by IRMan »

Will check that but can't right now.
Just has a standard Intel fan. This is a generic system no out of the ordinary parts.
By your question are you saying that the error code can be something other than a memory issue, i.e. a power issue?
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

vbironchef wrote:One more thing that might be your issue. Does your keyboard use a usb cable or do you have the pin type? I remember with my Intel badaxe2 motherboard it would not boot unless I used the pin type connector for my keyboard and mouse. Hope that helps. Once I was able to load windows and drivers I could my usb cable keyboard and mouse.
Not sure if you read this part.
IRMan
Legit User
Legit User

Post by IRMan »

Yes, I saw this post after I had sent my latest post. Will check that also. I was using a USB mouse and a pin-type keyboard.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Let us know how it turns out. I think that you need that pin type connecter has something to do with Intel uses dos in their bios. Have you put your copy of windows in while trying to boot? You may need to reinstall windows. Disconnect any usb devices.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

One other thing. How many hard drives do you have? If you have a raid 0 setup you must first install drivers from Intel via floppy disc. It's best to only use one hard drive when trying to instal windows.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I looked up what 3 beeps means on your motherboard. http://communities.intel.com/thread/15400 Looks like a memory issue.
IRMan
Legit User
Legit User

Post by IRMan »

Yes, it seems to be a memory issue. I just got off the phone with a tech from where I bought the board. He said that board will ONLY work with specific Crucial brand memory and even using other brands could damage it! I now have the correct memory that will work with this board, so either the board is bad or the memory. They are going to be sending a replacement board. I will post what happens for future reference.
Thanks again for your help.
Danny
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Danny »

I have the DP43BF motherboard. I would direct you to read the release notes for the final BIOS release of your motherboard.
"Added memory support for DIMMs with 2Gbit SDRAM density."

You will need a single 1GB DDR3 stick to get the motherboard working. After updating to the final release BIOS version, you can install your 2GB DRAM modules and they will work. I used Kingston ValueRam 1333MHz 1GB DDR3, then after updating the BIOS the Crucial RAM 2 x 2GB kit worked.
IRMan
Legit User
Legit User

Post by IRMan »

Danny, thanks so much for that info. Your advice worked and I got the board working. The MB is VERY picky on what memory will work, I even had to find a specific 1GB chip that allowed me to get into the BIOS to update it to use my 2GB chips. Thanks Again - Dan