Which PCI-E slots?

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
gaugefilm
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Which PCI-E slots?

Post by gaugefilm »

Hi all, I'm a first time computer builder and am building a comp for a dedicated film transfer service under specific instructions.

The comp build is pretty much finished but I'm having trouble interpreting which PCI-E slot the Black Magic Intensity Pro card and the Radeon Graphics card are meant to be in. My motherboard is the DZ77BH55K Intel Z77 chipset LGA1155. I have had instructions from Moviestuff's to instal as follows:

HD Capture Card: BlackMagic Intensity Pro should be in the number 1 PCI-E slot.
Graphics Card: Radeon HD6870 1GB GDDR5 - Dual Port (PCI-E) Should be in the number 2 PCI-E slot.

Now my mobo manual only specifies that the primary PCI-E x16 slot is the upper slot (the blue empty one in the picture linked below) and the lower x16 is the secondary slot (the one the graphics card is currently plugged into). As you can see in the picture the Black Magic card is plugged in the highest PCI-E x1 slot. So does he physically mean the graphics card should be in the number 2 PCI-E slot which would be the empty slot (primary) directly beneath the Black Magic card or is it correct as it is? To confuse matters even more the Black Magic card can be plugged into PCI-E x16 slots as well. So he could even mean that the Black Magic card needs to be plugged into the primary PCI-E x16 slot. Anyone got any ideas what he means? All I have to do is get the slots then I can instal windows. Here is the pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaugefilm/8224893066/

Thanks
Kev
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Which PCI-E slots?

Post by Darkstar »

Its fine the way it is but i would have my video card in that empty slot. btw, You can always move the card after you install windows if you have to....

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

^^^ AS mentioned above always install windows and get it rock solid before tossing in my add-in cards. More than likely doesn't make a bit of a difference. Looks like it should work the way you have it, but some of those Intel boards don't like having a discrete video card in any other slot than the primary when one card is being used. Never used that board, so if it's acting up on you put the GPU back in the primary slot.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
gaugefilm
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by gaugefilm »

Cheers guys,

It's all up and running. Windows installed. Now I'm going to download my drivers for my mobo. Which drivers will I need exactly? I know I need the chipset and thats the one I've downloaded and installed first. There are still lots to download though? I'm wondering which are necessary?

Hi guys... started a new topic for this as it's not about the PCI-E slots.