Which Drivers?

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
gaugefilm
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Which Drivers?

Post by gaugefilm »

Physically built my computer and windows is now installed. I'm going to download my drivers for my mobo. Which drivers will I need exactly? I know I need the chipset and thats the one I've downloaded and installed first. There are still lots to download though? I'm wondering which are necessary?

In particular I'm wondering if I need the Intel HD Graphics download as well as my Radeon HD6870 Driver? I've heard that it might not be a good idea to instal both?

Then there is the Intel USB 3.0 driver and the USB Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 driver? Do I need them both?

Others are:

Management engine driver
Pro network connections LAN driver
Rapid Storage technology driver
Realtek ALC audio driver
Rapid start technology
RAID Marvell SATA driver
Consumer Infrared (CIR) Driver

Any info or suggestions on the above drivers would be greatly appreciated. First time I've built a computer from scratch. Really enjoying it so far!

Cheers
Kev
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Which Drivers?

Post by vbironchef »

Use the CD that came with the motherboard and install drivers. Windows 7 should find almost everything you need. Graphic cards are best with the latest drivers, go to their website to download. Don't forget anti-virus and firewall. After you have done that you can go to the vendor that you bought your motherboard from and get newer updates if needed. Since you did not list your components nobody but you knows for sure what to update. :) If you have a SSD do not defrag.
gaugefilm
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Which Drivers?

Post by gaugefilm »

Well it's a dedicated telecine system and it will have some pretty exotic software running on it. The manufacturer told me to stick to a parts list (which I have done). Unfortunately because it's a rare machine for a rare job (celluloid film to digital) their systems are always behind the times. But hopefully the following spec will give you some idea on which drivers I should instal for my mobo. This was the message the manufacturer of the system sent me (I have not installed my two RE4 1TB drives yet. First I want to get windows, my graphics card and my black magic card working first before attempting the software RAID 0). Here is the message:

'If you build your system differently and you call with a PC/software problem, the first thing I will ask you is if you followed this list. If the answer is no, then I probably will not be able to help unless you are willing to revert back to the following specifications. I hope you understand, this is a very resource intensive application and small variances can sometimes create unforeseen issues. And with over 5000 customers, it would be impractical for me to get involved in helping customers de-bug a system that we know was not built according to these specs.

Operating system:
MicroSoft Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate -32 bit-
Install Service Pack 1 or latest
NOTE: There will be a 64 bit version of the software later but, for now, you can not use a 64 bit OS nor can you use a 64 bit OS in the 32 bit mode. You can not use a Mac in the Windows mode. Some clients have reported moderate success using a Mac in Windows mode but there are too many unresolved issues and we are not a Mac shop. So if you decide to try it on a Mac, you will be on your own. We do not support Macs for this application.

Processor:
Intel Core i5 2400 3.1 GHz (Socket 1155)
NOTE: Do not use an i7 processor.

Motherboard:
DZ77BH55K Intel Z77 chipset LGA1155 MotherBoard
NOTE: This should be the full size board and not the "mini" board they offer. Also, this particular board comes in a variety of flavors; plain, Deluxe, Pro, etc. You can use any of them as long as they are Intel Z77 chipset LGA 1155. The plain works just as well as the Deluxe or Pro, etc. for this application.

Memory:
(4G Kit) 2x2GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory Module Kit

Graphics Card:
Radeon HD6870 1GB GDDR5 - Dual Port (PCI-E)
NOTE: Should be in the number 2 PCI-E slot

System Drive (cannot be partitioned)
1TB System Drive (SATA 3.0Gb/s) 7,200RPM w64MB Buffer

Video Record Drive:
2TB Raid-0 array made up of two 1TB RE4 - video capture drives ( SATA 3.0GB/s) 7,200 RPM w/64MB Buffer
NOTE: These are designated specifically as "RE4" drives and not regular SATA drives. You should use a software raid via Windows system disc manager and not a hardware raid.

Minimum Power Supply:
750 Watt TruePower Supply E-ATX

HD Capture Card:
BlackMagic Intensity Pro
NOTE: Should be in the number 1 PCI-E slot.

It should be noted that the mother board and graphics card must have updates/drivers downloaded after installation for maximum performance for HD.

You will also want to download the MainConcept Codec from here:

http://www.mainconcept.com/en/products/ ... codec.html

The MainConcept encoder is used only for downconverting your HD files to SD. It is not used for HD production in any way. You do not have to use the MaiConcept DV encoder but it is much sharper than the free Microsoft DV encoder for downcoverting and will automatically switch from NTSC to PAL.

In general, this should be considered a dedicated capture/processing platform. Do not use it for editing, DVD authoring, iTunes, browsing the internet, etc. In fact, it should not have any active network card during operation, no active anti-virus and no screen saver or active sleep mode. Turn off any "Power Saving" features, as this PC needs to work at top performance. Also, do not load NERO or any Pinnacle product onto your system or it may interfere with proper operation of other video related components.

My best,
Roger Evans
Owner, MovieStuff

So... If you got to the bottom of that message. Thanks for sticking with it. Any advice on which drivers I should download now?

Thanks
Kevin