motherboard to support Q8300

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
dpowell
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

motherboard to support Q8300

Post by dpowell »

I'm trying to build a computer on a shoestring budget that I can install MS Small Business Server 2011 Standard Edition on. I already have a Q8300 processor so I'm looking for a board that will support this processor (LGA775) as well as 32GB RAM and a 64 Bit OS. I know that none of the current Intel boards fit these requirements but does anybody know of any board that would?

Thanks in advance
KnightRid

Re: motherboard to support Q8300

Post by KnightRid »

no.

I dont think lga775 supported more than 16gb anyway...??? Right now I can only find 8gb max boards.

Either lower your ram expectations or junk the cpu and buy a new cpu/mb combo that will allow 32gb.

Instead of 32gb of memory you could always max out at 8gb and install a fast ssd or 2 but that would negate any savings as it would be cheaper to buy a new cpu/mb with 32gb of ram than ssd's (probably, depends...)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
dpowell
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by dpowell »

Thanks for the excellent reply. I'll rethink my strategy.
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

FYI, SBS2011 is the end of the line for the SBS series according to MS. SBS -> full domain/exchange conversions are pretty miserable, I am in the middle of 2 right now and have done probably 10-12 in the past, they never go smoothly. If this is just for you to play around with at home that is fine, but if its for a company, I would do something else. Set up a normal domain and do a hosted exchange solution or something similar, it will save you a ton of headaches in the future.

SBS is fine to learn on, just be prepared for things to blow up in wonderful ways if you stray from the SBS console. There is a reason MS doesnt recommend Exchange on a domain controller or really having anything else running on that exchange box (sharepoint, etc).

Also, do yourself a favor... DO NOT USE .local (SBS default). Mac's hate this and cross forest migrations are a bitch. You can change it during the installation process.

This post went very sideways from the OP intention, but yeah, SBS is really on my bad side this month.