Intel Chipset Device Software Aggravations

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Intel Chipset Device Software Aggravations

Post by Major_A »

As most of you know in this subforum that you need to install the Intel Chipset Device Software after you build a computer or format the hard drive. The software is a package of drivers that tells the Intel hardware how to work. This is all fine and great the first time you install the software after a new build/format. But from that point on the package will "install" but actually install nothing and say that you are up to date. However, if you extract the installer and open up the Device Manager you can install the latest drivers from the package. So here's my question/aggravation... If there are newer drivers then why the heck do I have to manually update all of the drivers?

Intel Chipset Device Software v9.4.0.1022 (latest):
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... ty%29.html

Manually installed driver(s) via Device Manager:

skier

Re: Intel Chipset Device Software Aggravations

Post by skier »

my assumption would be that they are not officially signed by microsoft yet (WHQL) so the 9.1.9 may be the most recent WHQL

but of course as long as the drivers work I don't usually update anything but the OS after the initial OS install... (Would waste too much of my time, having 5 computers that I actively use just in my computer room alone (One being an X41 Tablet thing, rest desktops). And Since I upgraded my server to 2012 I'm not running WSUS either so I don't really pay attention to windows updates really..
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel Chipset Device Software Aggravations

Post by Major_A »

If you look at the two drivers I updated manually (did about 10 all together) you see that they have the WHQL signature. If you download updated AMD chipset drivers and there's a new driver it will update the software. I guess I have an archaic view of chipset drivers from the VIA days of fighting with drivers and the constant updates. I can remember some chipset drivers were great and some were garbage.