ASUS P4C800 E-Deluxe BIOS

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

ASUS P4C800 E-Deluxe BIOS

Post by LVCapo »

I just downloaded the new Beta BIOS v. 1017, and now my vcore has stabilized?! Before I downloaded the new BIOS, it would jump from 1.472 to 1.55. Now doesn't budge. I'm not sure what to think of this Maybe everything is just going my way today.... no, couldn't be that.
Edit: Nope, too good to be true, was totally stable until I messed with the FSB, now its hopping around like usual
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

what do you think are some of the better revisions for the bios?

I presume 1017 (or later) would be the one to use, also i was told by a friend that i should pretty much have everythign setup in BIOS before loading xp and such, i was wondering why he may have said that (was a very long time ago, we dont speak really anymore)~

oh and im not sure if this makes a difference, but i have the normal c800-deluxe (uay) not the -E version, :/
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Corsair 2x256MB-XMS3200C2-PT
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm running BIOS version 1016 (2004/03/04) on my P4C800E-Deluxe and have no major issues so I'm staying put with it for now. Plus that is the latest official release offered by ASUS for public mainstream use.

Almost any board will have some voltage "flutter" & it shouldn't matter unless you are at the upper limits of all your hardware and are under load ;)

Also i've had some bad expierence using another models bios... hehe
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

I'm curious because everything just about written for my board is also written for the "E" version, even the Mobo CD I believe, has files for 4 types of the mobo...lol :)

I'll have to get on the ASUS site and check it out...:)
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

As to the BIOS.
1016 is the latest official release, 1017 is a Beta release. I tried 1017 and saw no difference at all.
The CD does have all the different vboards on it, but what it is is just the chipset driver, which is the same for all their 875 boards.I personally didn't use any of them, I went to the Intel sight and downloaded their chipset driver for the 875, which is a much newer version, I think there is a link here for it
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

Yeah, I have one of the INF updates (when I first installed my card, I didn't check too much with it, gfx card that is, and when I installed Max Payne 2 it said AGP Acceleration was disabled, more below)...so I think I'm OK (I can't find the file name, right now, it's around here somewhere, lol, I've done a lot of re-arranging and re-partitioning this week).

Concerning my AGP Acceleration, turns out I did some researching (I had played CS and still had gotten 100 FPS, lmao!), I learned it was something to do between install DX9, AGP/Chipset drivers and the order of that or something...I installed the INF update and it updated those drivers, voila. Actually what had happened, was that there was no choice to Enable/Disable AGP Texture Acceleration, etc. on DXDIAG. So I was confused at first, lucky me I didnt' do what most of the people I had read had done...all it took was installing the INF update...some of them had done everything from removing DX9 and thinking that had solved it, I honestly didn't think it was a dx9 problem at first anyway...that's over six months ago though, so I can't say too much about the situation other than it was fixed easily.

That raises a nice questions, if I installed the update, where could I check to see which INF updates have been installed (or is it just to tell me what versions are installed...i think i know, though)..?

*Update* I think I'm using "82801 (eb)"
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I was told, though it may be wrong. That you should always install the Chipset/ Video Card/Other Drivers.... in that order.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

don't forget to install DirectX 9.0B before the video card drivers :)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

yes, my bad...thanks Apop.
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

lol, im not sure what order I installed them in, seeing as I more than likely had the Asus CD in the drive at the time (I'm sure I did, as I've installed them twice, once before I had XP and then when I bought XP) and installed Asus Probe and things, I'm sure I installed the drivers off the CD then. DX9 I probably installed off my gfx card's cd (lol) and I don't remember which I installed first, however later down the line trying to get some tech support from EA about some things with NHL 2002 (some lighting didn't show up, even though it had before, and gone again) that he told me I didn't have DX9b...he said I had A. I checked the Gfx card's CD and sure enough it was A...so I downloaded and installed DX9B lol...and all was right with the world.

I will note, however, I never had that locked out AGP problem with Windows XP. Everything was just right when I installed XP...I was actually pretty surprised at that, I had never used XP before then, so I was really amazed...:) I love that feeling, when you go into something like that and well, even though XP wasn't in anyway really a 'move' from Windows ME, it was a fun little adventure because it was so pretty...lol :)

I think I've confused even myself, what I mean is the AGP, etc. was all grayed out for Windows ME, but I never had that problem when I installed XP...so I was glad with that. lol :)
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

:rolleyes: "I think I've confused even myself" :rolleyes:

I just can't believe you used Windows ME without someone forcing you!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I actually wouldn't use the CD that came with your board. Everything on there is seriously outdated. First, go to the Intel downloads site and download the chipset driver for the 875 mobo, then go to the ASUS site and download the updater, Probe, and other drivers and utilities. The stuff on the disk is at least 2-3 versions old
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

lol Thanks, but I've done all this a very long time ago, I know the misc. things are out-dated (and very buggy) anyways, so yeah I should probably check out the utilities, etc.

I had the BIOS and INF stuff as the most current a while ago, but there may be some updates like you said, thanks for the reminder, lol I've been meaning to update some things anyway, just those always seem to slip my mind! :D

About Windows ME, I liked it because it was newer than 9x and I didn't have XP at the time, lol, it was considerably more stable for me than Windows 98SE in my experiences and I had a very nice boot time of around 10 seconds, just wondering...what makes you say such about ME? (I had it as a copy my mother had gotten for free with her Laptop a long time ago and was just sitting around). I've actually heard a few people talk about it, prefering Windows 98SE however, after trying it I just couldn't bring myself to use win98 again, lol :)

Oh and curious, what would you say a normal boot time for XP Pro would be? I'm not sure about mine, but without having to login each time (I'm the only user, normally) it seems...well it's slower than WinME/98SE so what gives..? Any links, etc. on some more information? (I don't have anything really on startup, except PC-Cillin 2002, which doesn't slow it much at all, heh, I have about 16 processes on startup).
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Some things you can do to dramatically improve the boot time is to go get Microsoft Bootvis, it isn't on the MS site anymore, but you can google it and download it elsewhere, under trace, run optimize system, let it reboot and do its thing for about 10 minutes or so. what it does s optimize your HDD for faster booting, very good program. Another thing i recommend is under MSCONFIG, go to startup and uncheck everything you don't need to start everytime your system boots. While in MSCONFIG, go to the BOOT.INI tab and check /NOGUIBOOT, that gets rid of the welcome screen as Windows comes on.
You might also want to check out Blackviper.com, this guy has totally picked apart WINXP and has come up with a great assortment of Registry and Service Configurations, make sure you read the site befor doing anything. i use his WINXP Safe Pro settings and it works great, no problems at all. I also clear out the prefetch folder every couple of days .
You might also want to go into your BIOS screen and disable everything you don't use, extra IDE ports, Legacy USB, Firewire, etc. If you don't use it, disable it, then when your system starts, it won't spend time looking for them.

Download BootVis 1.3.37.0 - Microsoft tool to provide faster XP boot and resume times
[ http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/2/12-2-1.shtml ]

Black Viper's Web Site
[ http://www.blackviper.com/ ]
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

Thanks, I'll go check out the bootvis later and I may remove the windows welcome for now, :)

As I said, I only have a few processes and services that are used; I used BlackViper's guide after I updated Windows XP a long time ago, :) I never have more than around 25 processes running and that's when I'm chatting and gaming, as some games use more than one (i.e. Steam, lol).

I'll definitely check out the BootVis, I think it sounds vaguely familiar, as well. Yes, I have things I don't use disabled. I chose to re-enable Firewire before I installed XP as I have plans to use that to sync my computer, my future re-built p3 system, and my friends computer. I just kinda like Firewire, lol :p

Other than that, I don't plan to use any IDE devices when I rebuild my p3 system, as I'll be taking the IDE drive I now have out for that. :D Thanks!!
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional