Need to find someone who can do this...

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Need to find someone who can do this...

Post by LVCapo »

For me, my eyes aren't good enough, but these mods are supposed to be awesome. Anyone know of someone who can do these, anyone willing to try?
http://www.thelab.gr/reviews/ic7mods_en1.php
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by eric m. »

ok i know this is an old post but...

i would be able to do those mods, but i don't have the right board, and i am too scared to try it on someone else's board. i think if i had done it myself to make sure there were no issues, then i would maybe do it for someone else. i just would hate to ruin someones board trying to help them out, then feel responsible for replacing it.

looks like basic stuff though. i have looked into other mods like increasing RAM voltage on my ASUS board but i think it's just a little extreme and kind of a big risk just to push the memory a little harder.
P4C800-E dlx â–‘ 3.2e @4ghz â–‘ 9600XT â–‘ 510 deluxe PSU â–‘ danger den â–‘ hyperX
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

yeah, I have an eye disease that is slowing blinding me. My corneas are destroyed. I would love to try it myself, but I can just see it now, soldering my cat to my board or something.
You might want to hook up with A10, he has the board in question and wants to do these mods, so badly that he is willing to send the board to Greece to the guy who wrote that article.
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by eric m. »

capper5016 wrote:yeah, I have an eye disease that is slowing blinding me. My corneas are destroyed. I would love to try it myself, but I can just see it now, soldering my cat to my board or something.
You might want to hook up with A10, he has the board in question and wants to do these mods, so badly that he is willing to send the board to Greece to the guy who wrote that article.
an eye disease? that's terrible. i have bad eyes and think about losing my vision all the time. so scary.

sending the board to greece is a little crazy. it's really not that difficult, and there are probably a lot of people in the US who have and can do the same mods as shown on that site with relative ease. i wouldn't try it if you've never picked up a soldering iron before though.
P4C800-E dlx â–‘ 3.2e @4ghz â–‘ 9600XT â–‘ 510 deluxe PSU â–‘ danger den â–‘ hyperX
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

I feel safer paying a few extra bucks for someone that I know knows what they are doing...
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by eric m. »

back in the playstation 1 days, i used to modify them for all my friends and me. i have done probably about 20 of them and there are about 8 different versions and 5-6 different "modchips" you could get. as time went on, sony kept trying to keep people from modding the playstation, but there was always another wiring scheme to make it work. i never broke any playstations and it always worked except on a few games that can detect the chip. but i came up with a switch to have the chip connected while the PS1 searches for the country code, then you can turn it off while the game software looks for the chip.

i did this mostly to play imported games, although some of my friends used to make copies of rentals, which is illegal and you should never do that. anyway, my point is that some of the connections i had to make were ridiculously small, like on 2cm square 128 pin chips with tiny little pins. so i think modding the motherboard will be similar. and if other people are doing it with good results, i think i would be willing to try it.

here is what i see so far:

capacitor on northbridge to prevent voltage spikes: easy, but it would be best to use hot glue or something to keep the cap from moving once it's in place or you can cause damage to other parts.

Vagp mod: pretty easy as well. cut a trace in the board and solder in a 10 ohm resistor. then you put a wire from there to a 25 turn 200 ohm pot. then the other side of the pot to ground. then you glue the trimmer to something. then you measure the voltage of vagp to make sure it is around 1.91v, which is 1.95 to the card.

vdd: really easy. solder a 15k resistor on top of the second resistor by the second PCI card from the agp slot. this will raise the vdd to 1.71v as opposed to 1.49 stock.

vmem: easy. desolder R50, put a 10 ohm resistor in its place. then mount a 25 turn 200 ohm trimpot to the side of the ATA connector. put the middle leg to ground and one of the outside legs to the left side of R50. this will bring the memory voltage up a bit.

etc, etc. the rest of them are basically the same. it's not too hard, but there are a lot of places where you can make a little mistake and break something. in most cases, it will be repairable but there is a chance of really screwing up the board.some of the stuff at the end like putting a choke on the bottom and those larger capacitors is pretty crazy, but not difficult. this is one serious motherboard if you do all those mods!!! really crazy. pretty cool though.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I have only sucsessfuly soldered a surface mount componat once and it was a three prong power plug on a laptop motherboard that had broken loose. When you did your ps1 mods what wattage iron did you use and how did you sink the heat away from near by componants?
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"