IC7 Max-3

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

IC7 Max-3

Post by LVCapo »

I just installed an IC7-Max 3. Had a serious bitch of a time O/Cing it! After toying around with it for a full day I realized that the reason I couldn't break 4GHz was my memory timings!!!! It kept resetting to "by speed" which was 3-8-3-3, problem is the memory at 250FSB has to be 3-8-4-4:oops:
.So I'm sitting at 4.0GHz with the following settings and wondering if I should go any further.
V-core 1.52
V-Dimm 2.77
AGP 1.55
CPU 49C
Sys 33C
PWM 37C
Now considering everything i've read suggests the ABIT boards are over 10-13C on their readings, I would consider this a very good and very stable O/C.
BTW, my Sandra results (5 run avg) was 6100/6074 mem bandwidth, and 10625/8370/4621 on the CPU Arithmetic
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Abit temps do run a little high, how much higher with Intel, I don't know. If your system is stable and you feel OK with your temps, I would go higher........... :shock:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

WOW 4ghz and room to go. that awsome. i cant wait to see some benchmarks and some pictures. Im with bio if you feel good about it the start pushing.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I need to find another hosting site....Cybertarp closed down their free web hosting
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

capper, how much did this board cost and would you recommend it?

I am looking for a new motherboard to overclock a 3.0C GHz CPU to 4GHz+, for around $125. Any suggestions?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

AT Fry's it cost me $199. I would use the "Dealtime" link on our homepage (I've seen it as low as $167 there), or newegg ($185), but yes I would very much recommend this board.
After all the boards I've used, there are three I would recommend the IC&-Max 3 (best O/Cer of all, has some voltage issues), ASUS P4C800 E-Deluxe (most stable, not as good an O/Cer), and the Chaintech 9CJS Zenith (very stable, best overall package of extras).
UI've done alot of research on this board, there are some serious voltage issues on the RAM side, and the thermal probes are horrible (10-13C off from real temps)but it seems every board has some sort of issue. I have also seen this board hit a FSB of 409 with a few mods. I have tried emailing OCZ about their new RAM voltage regulator, I figure 4 emails in two weeks is enough to get the idea that their customer service sucks.
Anyway, yes, I'd recommend this board very highly. I am going to save up and buy a DFI Lanparty 875B next, I have heard it is also a very good board.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

For $125, I would recommend the IC7, not the max 3 or IC7-G Advance, you can get the board for about $110, the only drawback is it doesn't have onboard LAN or Ethernet, so you'd have to buy a seperate card. It is basically the same board as the otherboards (the "G" has ethernet, Max 3 "Oates"). If you look through alot of forums, there seems to be alot of people who actually prefer the IC7 to the more expensive boards.
When I contacted the guy who achieved the 400 FSB on one of these boards, he recommended the IC7 over the others, because it was easier to work with, he would also do the mods, but I didn't feel like sending my board to Greece, still trying to find someone local to give it a shot.
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

Ah, the second reply is much better capper. I can spend $110 for that board. I'm just looking for 275FSB to get a 3.0GHz well past 4GHz. I have water-cooling so temps won't be a problem.

I don't need onboard LAN or Ethernet, as I have a wireless D-Link card, ey yes D-Link :oops: .

And 400FSB holy !@#$ that's 6GHz. I'd need a steady supply of Bawls if I were to keep up with that thing (if it's as great as people say, have a bottle on the way to review for my site).

Uh, I might have missed it but what brand is this? Abit?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

yeah, over 400FSB is crazy. I'm running mine at 250, and won't push it any further until I get some heatsinks on the mosfets and do something to stabilize the Vdimm.I can go to 2,9, but anything over that and i get random memory crashes. I wish OCZ had let me know what was up with their memory stabilizer, that would be a hell of alot easier than trying to solder stuff on the board.
I guess 4.0GHz ain't bad right now, I just have to come up with something to pushit further with this Prescott.
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

Yea I will probably get the regular IC7. I have water-cooling for the CPU and Northbridge, I am getting heatsinks for the mofsets and the Southbridge (from Micro Cool) and I will be getting some better memory (most likely Corsair XMS).

Is there anything else to consider or should that set-up (with 3.0C) easily reach/surpass 4GHz (267FSB)? I need to know of every possible way to squeeze more speed out of my new set-up.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I have the Corsair RAM, and while i like it, alot of the O/C crowd seems to prefer the OCZ stuff. I figure as a minimum you want PC 4000, probably 4400. Infinite should jump in here on this conversation with some input..
When you get the microcool heatsinks, go get some "goof off" and get rid of the thermal tape they use, get yourself some AS Ceramiqe thermal adhesive, it will be permanent, but a much better heat conductor (They even say this on their site), and I know you are using W/C but make sure you have good circulation in your case. I can't promise you'll blast past 4.0, but you should get pretty close without many issues
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

Yea I have good circulation in my case, well maybe not, but I do have 2 exhaust fans and I'm trying to figure out a creative way to mount 2 fans to the front of the case (by hdd). They are pretty low CFM fans, since that's all I need right now. Nice and quiet. I have 8 2500RPM fans on t he way from Xoxide, got those ones that were 89 cents apiece! That should help get more airflow. If I need I can also cut a blow hole right above the power supply (only place because of radiator) and turn my PSU upside down, so that the fan on the PSU pulls air into the PSU and pushes it out of the case. That would be a more extreme action and only if I needed it.
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

capper5016 wrote:I have the Corsair RAM, and while i like it, alot of the O/C crowd seems to prefer the OCZ stuff. I figure as a minimum you want PC 4000, probably 4400. Infinite should jump in here on this conversation with some input..
Yes more input, since I want to do this right the first time. I'm trying to stay somewhat on a budget though, just remember that. I have a computer that works just fine, so this is basically all wasted money.

I can set the RAM ratio, so in my opinion, PC3200 could probably work, but I will try and go with PC4000 if it's not too expensive (I want a gig, and I'm selling my memory for $150). Memory is basically the only place I'm losing over $50.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

With the 3.0c i dont think you will make 4ghz. Some chips are blessed by the intel gods and will crank that high but the Northwood was never ment to scale beyond 3.6ghz. While capper is right that you will need at least pc4000 to even get your computer into range. If you realy want to make 4 ghz you may have to start thinking about some extreme cooling or a (dare i say it) prescott cpu. but then who knows you may have a good chip.
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

Apop says most of the new Northwoods can make 250FSB easily. I only have to get to 267 to reach 4GHz. I think my cooling will be sufficient. Prescott's run hotter so there would be a more likely chance for the need of a better cooling system. Any opinions from other people?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

You are actually doing a great job in researching and upgrading. It is always important to get other opinion, more so by asking on boards than just reading reviews.
I also like how you are selling old stuff to buy your new stuff. I started doing the same thing last year when i sold my 3.06 GHz and bought a 2.8 Prescott. As to the cooling, you are better off with the NW if you can't do water, As much as i like the Pressie, I think 4.0 on air is unrealistic.
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

capper5016 wrote:You are actually doing a great job in researching and upgrading. It is always important to get other opinion, more so by asking on boards than just reading reviews.
I also like how you are selling old stuff to buy your new stuff. I started doing the same thing last year when i sold my 3.06 GHz and bought a 2.8 Prescott. As to the cooling, you are better off with the NW if you can't do water, As much as i like the Pressie, I think 4.0 on air is unrealistic.
Thanks capper. But just so you know I do have water-cooling :wink:

So now the question 3.0 Northwood or 3.0 Prescott?

At stock is the Prescott any faster than the Northwood? and how far will the Prescott overclock compared to the Northwood?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

At stock speeds the NW is a better chip, but once you hit 3.6-3.8 the PR blows by it. I will try to find the reviews where I read that, but it is my opinion too. As to the cooling. I have a 3.2 E and the temp difference between stock and 4.0 is about 4C, which isn't bad at all. I run it 24/7 at 3.76 and it is about 2.5C higher than stock.
I'll post links to different reviews.
Something else I see alot is people who don't have a PR always knocking the heat, if they had one or used one they would see the O/C potential as a very good trade off when it comes to O/Cing.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Your 3.0c may handel 250fsb but that does not mean the core can handle 4ghz. like i said you will be lucky to get that over 3.8ghz with good water cooling. the most i have ever seen a northwood run at was just over 4ghz and that was using a double phase changeing system. his cpu was runing at -100c and -50c under load.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

One more thing Capper, the trade off between the NW and the Presi is heat. while for you and i its not a big deal going to water cooling for alot of people spending $200-250 on a water cooling system and or building your own is more than they are willing to do. That means that they are trying to over clock on air only. As you have seen on air alone a prescott will burn up your computer.