D975XBX2 Marvell Controller Problem

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
mikeyd
Legit User
Legit User

Post by mikeyd »

Just finished my Bad Axe 2 build yesterday. Secondary SATA (blue) ports were disabled by choice; however, at this setting my hard drive LED is lit steady. Re-enabled blue SATA ports, now HD LED functions normally but I have an unwanted delay while the Marvel ports P.O.S.T. Board was flashed to latest available online BIOS 2333 11/27/2006, but this made no difference.

I'm also interested to hear members’ experiences using AHCI instead of Native IDE. Is there a measurable performance difference that would make a reinstall of Windows worthwhile? I'm running a single 150 Gb WD Raptor.
progolf
Legit User
Legit User

Post by progolf »

Hey mikeyd, don’t bother. AHCI, Native and IDE is all the same problem. Unless you plan to use RAID forget it. I am having the same exact problem and Intel is aware of it. they said they would release a BIOS update and to keep checking back. The Marvel Post is really annoying. :x
mikeyd
Legit User
Legit User

Post by mikeyd »

I've read the best performance from a S-ATA drive is obtained using AHCI, instead of IDE, especially with drives that are "true" NCQ as the 150 Gb Raptor claims to be. Have you had any experience using AHCI, and doesn't it require a re-install of Windows with a dedicated driver?
SVP07
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Having problems too...

Post by SVP07 »

I am new to building systems, but chose to do so to save some cash. Build was pretty easy, but I am having the same problem with the HD not being recognized (or the array) and still loading windows except only on 137gig of the 250 gig HD. I have reloaded xp a few times, done the whole enablebiglba because I have an original ver. of XP, and updated Bios, and added the service packs. Windows is not activated yet, my Key code is out of installs and have to call MS to renew...that will be fun.

The funny thing is, the bios sees the the HD and sees it at the correct size. The windows system info sees the HD as the right size and under device manager it sees the drive with its full possible capacity and shows me the unallocated space (107 GB). What's the deal? I have read the stuff from intel, but have not called their $25 an incident phone number yet.

Right now I am formatting the unallocated space and have assigned a drive letter of G to it. I guess I'll see what happens....

HD is a WD 250GB SATA.

How do you email Intel, can't find an address?

Any thoughts or solutions?

Thanks, Steve

P.S. Farmatting just finished and drive partition is shown under windows explorer; assuming it is now usable. Need to change sizes of partitions though.
muell
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by muell »

Im running one hard drive and getting this error on boot up

Marvell 88SE61xx Controller - BIOS Version 1.1.0.17

Adaptor 1

Arrays Information:
No Array is defined!

Disk Information:
No Hard Disk is defined!

Press <Ctrl> + <M> to enter Marvel RAID BIOS Configuration or Press <Space> to Continue

If I turn off the secondary raid in bios the error goes away but the hard drive activity light stays on. Does anyone have a fix for this yet?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

muell wrote:Im running one hard drive and getting this error on boot up

Marvell 88SE61xx Controller - BIOS Version 1.1.0.17

Adaptor 1

Arrays Information:
No Array is defined!

Disk Information:
No Hard Disk is defined!

Press <Ctrl> + <M> to enter Marvel RAID BIOS Configuration or Press <Space> to Continue

If I turn off the secondary raid in bios the error goes away but the hard drive activity light stays on. Does anyone have a fix for this yet?
There is no fix for it yet, but Intel is aware of it and is trying to see if a fix is possible via a BIOS update. Welcome to the forums.
progolf
Legit User
Legit User

Post by progolf »

Hi muell, I am the one who originally posted this problem. I have been back and forth with Intel and they tell me the same as our forum admin. However, the D975XBX does not have this problem, its only the XBX2. I am sick and tired of seeing this boot message but I really need my HD LED so I was thinking of changing to another board that supports the 975 chipset and core duo but I will give Intel one more chance, because I really trust them, the developers may have just overlooked this problem. I live in Hong Kong and Intel says they will send over the new XBX that supports the core duo 6600. Keep your fingers crossed but I don’t think a bios update can fix this, it’s a wiring problem but I hope I am wrong.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I just got an e-mail from one of the BIOS team members and this was their response:
We have a BIOS fix pending for this issue Marvel HD LED issue. It will roll out the fix in an upcoming BIOS release (either the next BIOS or just after depending on our ability to validate the BIOS in time).
Intel does have a fix and is trying to get it in the next round of BIOS updates.
muell
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by muell »

Well that is good news. The error is starting to get on my nerves.

Progolf, do you get the letters EB and a 0 flashing in the lower right corner of your screen during the intel boot screen? Any ideas on what this is?
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I have the BDX2 and see a "94" and a "0" that flash in the lower right. I also get the Marvell notice.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I installed the latest BIOS update this past weekend and turned off the Marvell controller in the BIOS. I no longer receive the Marvell notification during bootup. Thought some of you should know.
~Bertrand Russell
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Sporg wrote:I installed the latest BIOS update this past weekend and turned off the Marvell controller in the BIOS. I no longer receive the Marvell notification during bootup. Thought some of you should know.
Right, but when that happens they are having problems with the LED lights staying on after the Marvell chip is disabled.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Oh, forgot about that part. :oops: I have not had the HD LED problem, but the problems I am having would probably require a new thread. :mrgreen:
~Bertrand Russell
Tony919
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

D975XBX2 Marvell Controller Problem

Post by Tony919 »

This message does not appear on my system anymore.

I updated BIOS with version 2333, 11/27/06. Then in BIOS setup, select Advanced - Peripheral Configuration - (disable) Secondary SATA Controller.

Give it a try.
progolf
Legit User
Legit User

Post by progolf »

I have just updated the new bios 12/20/06 an I still have the same problem. I Disabled the secondary SATA and still my HD LED is not working. I also get a bunch of letters on the bottom right hand corner of my boot screen that I have no idea what they are but I don’t want to see them. I also found that my MSN messenger video conference audio is not working either. I give up with the Intel 975XBX2. Can anyone recommend a more stable Motherboard? How about ASUS? I want a board that I can turn my computer on and go right to window without so much useless information! I think Intel should stick to processors and stay away from main boards.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I'm laughing right now, I went from an ASUS to the BDX2 because of problems POSTing. Maybe it's time to give up on technology and move into the woods somewhere with small, furry woodland creatures.
~Bertrand Russell
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Sporg wrote:I'm laughing right now, I went from an ASUS to the BDX2 because of problems POSTing. Maybe it's time to give up on technology and move into the woods somewhere with small, furry woodland creatures.
I'll join you someday... LOL
D0ug
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Chime in

Post by D0ug »

Wanted to chime in on this thread also - crosses fingers Intel developers are watching this thread.

Just built system using the D975XBX2 and I too have the same issue with the message and light. Just updated to the Dec 20th bios and no help with the HDD light. The message can be disabled as stated previously, but the HDD light stays on. I'm using a PC Power and Cooling standard ATX case with standard connectors. I tried reversing them and the light will not work at all in reverse. Another symptom I did not see mentioned in this thread - if you look in Device Manager, you will also see an unknown PCI device listed also. When you disable the secondary controller, the unknown PCI device goes away. The Dec 20th bios had no effect on any of these issues for me.

The message is annoying, but the system seems to be rock solid so far (crosses fingers)

Thanks
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the comments. Intel does have this thread bookmarked as I sent it to them and they check it from time to time. I'll ping them and see if they have a beta BIOS that I might be able to leak out to you guys (with them knowing of course).
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Expect Something January 8th 2007