D975XBX2 Marvell Controller Problem

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
seanriddle
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by seanriddle »

PJ wrote:Intel just released a new BIOS Update: 2507 (1/23/07) that is supposed to have a fix for the Marvell controller - HDD LED problem. Has nayone tried the new BIOS and how stable is it?
PJ-

I've been running it for a couple of days. It seems just as stable as 2333 to me (more stable than 2395 and 2431). It does not fix the Vista 64-bit problem, though.

Sean
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: RE: I just sent this to Intel....

Post by DaddyRabbit »

mickrussom wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:I just sent this to Intel....
Hey, can you also tell them that there should be a way to disable that crap image that pops up on boot (I DONT WANT A SPLASH SSCREEN and I'm not using that BIOS editor they give out to get rid of it, plus that editor, the System Integrator Toolkit, wont let you put no image in a way that I could find out, it has to have something, lame) and also tell them

PLEASE ANSWER THE PHONE AND ACCEPT EMAIL FOR SUPPORT.

What the HELL is Intel's problem? I've used several generations of their boards and it has always been top notch. This new crop and this horrid horrid Marvell controller is bad news man.

ALSO, when you hit reset on this motherboard during post, the next time it boots it whines about failed posting and gives a totally worthless error message, and sometimes, if you click the power button twice in quick succession, the power supply bleats out this horrible whine and you have to hold the power button down for 4 seconds to get rid of it.

HINT TO INTEL:
- Drop Marvell for storage, and try doing a deal for a real raid controller, maybe something from Areca or 3Ware so we can have real raid and not crap FRAID.

- Stop gluing on ass audio controllers. Sigma-Stain driverless 9720D. I'd rather have an Ensoniq 1370 glued on there, at least there are drivers all over. Seriously, grab a SoundBlaster Audigy or Xi Fi and glue that on. I bought Intel to avoid "mystery hardware"… and Now I'm debating getting a PCIe 3ware for raid and a XiFi for sound. Thanks Intel, for making me want to replace this stuff on a $230 board.

Intel's product manager for motherboards is a non-technical jerk idiot that needs to be fired. I can go to intel, do the product management for the boards and make every gamer, and serious desktop users happy.

Why would they do something cool like support ECC memory and then put assy mcgee sound card and assy marvell controllers on there.

:lame:
[RANT]

Intel has NEVER been an enthusiast's board. The BX1 was their first attempt and the BX2 was a huge leap from Intel in trying to support the "enthusiast" niche market. If you've built many Intel board PCs then you well know that they have a name for stability, not tweakability.

I was jazzed about 680i and when the 1st boards became available I was half a second from pulling the trigger then I started looking through the 1st week of posts (about 600 I think it was) on the EVGA forums discussing things like "I turned my PC on and my MB happily devoured all of the data on my SATA RAID". I'll bet Acronis and Symantec ghost folks were happy about THAT release...

So far (while there are other issues that I am undoubtedy missing) the main complaints seem to be:

1) The HDD light stays on all the time with the Marvel controller disabled.
OK I'm going to go out on a limb here but with sub-10 millisecond drive access times if you really think that the "little blinky light" tells you anything other than your HDD is being accessed then you need a vision test (or a casting test for "Heros"). While I don't think that an engineering team of Intel's quality should have let this slip they have fixed it in the latest BIOS.

2) The onboard sound (especially the mic volume issue)... What serious enthusiast/gamer has EVER used onboard audio? Nuff said....

3) The Marvel SATA controller... Every motherboad MFG has used them, relax it's just an industry...
ALSO, when you hit reset on this motherboard during post, the next time it boots it whines about failed posting and gives a totally worthless error message, and sometimes, if you click the power button twice in quick succession, the power supply bleats out this horrible whine and you have to hold the power button down for 4 seconds to get rid of it.
First I ever heard of this. I actually like that the BIOS detects a failed overclock and allows you to continue to boot to fix it vs. opening the case, pulling the battery, and resetting all of your BIOS settings from scratch. I think there are a few other boards that do this....
Hey, can you also tell them that there should be a way to disable that crap image that pops up on boot (I DONT WANT A SPLASH SSCREEN and I'm not using that BIOS editor they give out to get rid of it, plus that editor, the System Integrator Toolkit, wont let you put no image in a way that I could find out, it has to have something, lame) and also tell them... <snip>
My BEST recommendation is to RMA your Intel board and hop over to ASUS/ABIT/MSI or, better yet, go grab a $400.00 ASUS Striker (or other 680i board) and then brief us back on the support you get with that. If you spent $230.00 on the BX2 then you obviously didn't shop around (mine was $199 for a 3 year warranty and I shop 2 places).

My builds include; ASUS, ABIT, MSI, Shuttle, Soyo, and DFI (as well as Intel) this has been, without a doubt the LEAST trouble prone build I've ever done. [/rant}
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Every board has their flaws... The 975XBX2 is very strong when it comes to a desktop system with USB devices (mice & keyboards) and is very very quad-core friendly as it better be. The NVIDIA 680i is a great board, but also has it's fair share of issues... Using a PS2 mouse and quad-core on 680i will leave you with a mouse that skips and jumps over the screen even when your not moving it. The only real fix thus far is a USB mouse... No chipset is perfect and if you look hard enough you can find flaws on every board and every chipset ;)
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mickrussom »

Apoptosis wrote:
PJ wrote:Intel just released a new BIOS Update: 2507 (1/23/07) problem!
THE NEW BIOS Fixed it, the HDD light problem. The ECC issue was NBD.

To intel:

1) Took too long.
2) intel should support this via phone and email
3) marvell controller for SATA is crap.
4) Sigmatel is crap, drivers suck, games dont do EAX all the time this aint no audigy or xifi.
5) intel is lowering standard with the most complex mobo they have ever done. what a joke. standards should go up and not down.

conroe/woodcrest rules, but the chipsets and mobos right now leave much to be desired!!! we paid $230+, how much more do you need for it not to suck? charge it! we will pay for quality in a sea of crap.

its clear these are the same people that touted rambus.

now fix the reset button during post causing "bios load failures" and the large myriad of bios/post errors that exist.
PJ
Legit User
Legit User

Post by PJ »

Thanks for the replies on the 2507 BIOS. I finished building my new Photoshop machine last night.

Chassis: Coolermaster Centurian 5
Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2 w/ 2507 BIOS
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Memory: 2GB Crucial DDR2-533
Hard Drive: 3-320GB Seagate Barracuda ES / RAID 5
CD/DVD Burner: Plextor 760A
Floppy Drive: Sony MPF-920
Graphics Card: Matrox P650 PCIe
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 ASL

I spent the last 16 hours loading and updating the operating system, loading and updating the programs and burning it in. I couldn't be happier. It is fast and stable and it sends 10 bit / color to the CRT. I believe that works out to be roughly 1 billion colors. I keep hoping that someone will manufacturer a good LCD monitor.

It would probably be a good gaming machine if you replaced the graphics card. On the other hand, being a professional photographer, I think that color is more important than 3D.
D0ug
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

My $.02

Post by D0ug »

K...thanks for the post on the new bios....loaded up the Feb Bios and the HDD light is healed, the secondary controller message is gone, and the unknown device is now gone in hardware...so looking good for now.

Thanks
PNCD
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Marvell, BIOS and Vista32

Post by PNCD »

First post, so bear with me.

Just built a new machine: Zalman 160XT, Intel D975XBX2, Intel Q6600, Raptor 150GB , Corsair 2GB, 3x Barracuda 75GB, Plextor 755-SA, BFG 8800GTS, Vista32 Ultimate, BIOS 2507.

Lots of problems getting Raptor and Plextor set-up to load and boot Vista - Blue SATA (Marvell) versus Black SATA (Intel), IDE, AHCI, RAID yada yada yada. Flashed BIOS to 2507, updated Marvell manager, never got to try new drivers. Finally, Raptor and Plextor on Black SATA worked but only on Black SATA.

Then tried to build RAID 0 with Barracudas on Blue SATA. Every time I touch Marvell BIOS or RAID Manager - BSD. Nice to see again after so many years, but enough already. Secondary RAID enabled. RAID set to IDE. Formatted drives. Set RAID 0 to span all three drives (BSD). Ctrl-M for Marvell BIOS, drives all there, RAID array there (BSD). Marvell BIOS shows everything intact, Vista starts boot (BSD). Every time.

Vista will not boot with Marvell RAID array. Remember, Raptor and Plextor still on Black SATA. Only solution is to Ctrl-M and delete the array. No response from Intel.

What I want to do is have Raptor and Plextor on SATA (either color) no RAID, obviously. Plus 3-4 Barracudas in RAID 0 for my music library. I have no preference for what should be on which set of STA connectors or whether to use Intel or Marvell RAID. Currently, I have a nice DVD player in a large black box......

Any suggestions on configuring 3/4 disk RAID 0 array plus two other SATA devices with Vista 32? Thanks for your help.
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mickrussom »

DaddyRabbit wrote:
mickrussom wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:I just sent this to Intel....
Intel has NEVER been an enthusiast's board. The BX1 was their first attempt and the BX2 was a huge leap from Intel in trying to support the "enthusiast" niche market. If you've built many Intel board PCs then you well know that they have a name for stability, not tweakability.
Some people want the system to just work. For example, I tend to use ECC memory. DDR2 800 ECC 5-5-5-15 memory on my 8800GTX gets 11500 on 3Dmark2006. Im willing to pay for stability/quality.
I was jazzed about 680i and when the 1st boards became available I was half a second from pulling the trigger then I started looking through the 1st week of posts (about 600 I think it was) on the EVGA forums discussing things like "I turned my PC on and my MB happily devoured all of the data on my SATA RAID". I'll bet Acronis and Symantec ghost folks were happy about THAT release...
Exactly, FRAID should be banned. Drivers on the sleezy FRAID implementations cause the most issues.

So far (while there are other issues that I am undoubtedy missing) the main complaints seem to be:

1) The HDD light stays on all the time with the Marvel controller disabled.
OK I'm going to go out on a limb here but with sub-10 millisecond drive access times if you really think that the "little blinky light" tells you anything other than your HDD is being accessed then you need a vision test (or a casting test for "Heros"). While I don't think that an engineering team of Intel's quality should have let this slip they have fixed it in the latest BIOS.

2) The onboard sound (especially the mic volume issue)... What serious enthusiast/gamer has EVER used onboard audio? Nuff said....

3) The Marvel SATA controller... Every motherboad MFG has used them, relax it's just an industry...
1) no excuse. if the light is useless, leave it off. Dont screw up so bad that it gets wedged into a bad state.

2) simple solution, use a real audio asic on the board. charge more. everyone wins.

3) again, just because everyone sucks doesnt mean its ok to suck. if 3ware , LSI or other non-FRAID chipsets were used, this wouldnt be a problem.
First I ever heard of this. I actually like that the BIOS detects a failed overclock and allows you to continue to boot to fix it vs. opening the case, pulling the battery, and resetting all of your BIOS settings from scratch. I think there are a few other boards that do this....
I dont overclock. All that happened is that the reset button was pressed again early in post. Reset button isnt a boot failure. Bug, fundamental - and this is indefensible - its a bad bug.
My BEST recommendation is to RMA your Intel board and hop over to ASUS/ABIT/MSI or, better yet, go grab a $400.00 ASUS Striker (or other 680i board) and then brief us back on the support you get with that. If you spent $230.00 on the BX2 then you obviously didn't shop around (mine was $199 for a 3 year warranty and I shop 2 places).
No, I dont like Nvidia or ATI chipsets. Intel is reasonable - those guys are in my experience no as good. I've built many systems over the years and between linux/freebsd/windows, I have the least trouble with Intel. I expect more from Intel, and they need to stay ahead of the curve delivering reliable paltforms for the latest silicon, namely the X6800 I have.
My builds include; ASUS, ABIT, MSI, Shuttle, Soyo, and DFI (as well as Intel) this has been, without a doubt the LEAST trouble prone build I've ever done.
Asus, Intel, Supermicro, Tyan.
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

New BIOS at Intel for D975XBX2

Post by mickrussom »

BIOS
Title Ver.# Date
BIOS Update 2618 [BX97520J.86A] (870KB)
2618 2/12/2007
Four methods for updating your Intel® Desktop Board’s BIOS version.

Read Me (pdf) Release Notes (pdf)

OS:Linux*, OS Independent, Windows Vista* 32, Windows Vista* 64, Windows* 2000, Windows* XP Home Edition, Windows* XP Media Center Edition, Windows* XP Professional, Windows* XP Professional x64 Edition

Download File(s):English(1 of 4) 870KB, English(2 of 4) 1040KB, English(3 of 4) 1890KB, English(4 of 4) 2307KB

All links at 3:20 AM Pacific (2/15/2007) were not working.

Typical, Intel quality is dropping, why not post broken links to a website, broken links are fun for the customer.
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

links are working now!
PNCD
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Is there anyone out there?

Post by PNCD »

No reply to my post on Monday. Perhaps everyone has their problems with Marvell sorted out now that the HDD lights work?

I updated to Bios 2618 today. I rebuilt the Marvell array (Secondary RAID enabled, IDE drive type). BSOD every time Vista Ultimate 32 boots up. Killing the array in Ctrl-M works fine - Vista sees the independent drives. No response from Intel.

Two questions:
1. Does anyone have Vista 32 with drives on Intel SATA controller (boot HDD and DVD in my case) plus a RAID 0 array on Marvell SATA controller?
2. If this cannot work, then I need to move on and get a RAID controller for my Barracuda drives. Can anyone recommend a RAID controller that will work with a disabled Marvell controller and with SATA drives on the Intel controller, but no RAID?

I would appreciate your help!
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Is there anyone out there?

Post by mickrussom »

PNCD wrote:No reply to my post on Monday. Perhaps everyone has their problems with Marvell sorted out now that the HDD lights work?

I updated to Bios 2618 today. I rebuilt the Marvell array (Secondary RAID enabled, IDE drive type). BSOD every time Vista Ultimate 32 boots up. Killing the array in Ctrl-M works fine - Vista sees the independent drives. No response from Intel.

Two questions:
1. Does anyone have Vista 32 with drives on Intel SATA controller (boot HDD and DVD in my case) plus a RAID 0 array on Marvell SATA controller?
2. If this cannot work, then I need to move on and get a RAID controller for my Barracuda drives. Can anyone recommend a RAID controller that will work with a disabled Marvell controller and with SATA drives on the Intel controller, but no RAID?

I would appreciate your help!
After updating the BIOS, it may be prudent to try and reset / drain the BIOS settings by removing the battery and unplugging the board for some time, an Intel manual indicated one hour.

Also, please reconsider using the Marvell ports for FRAID. Both the ICH ports and the Marvell ports are FRAID, why not just use the ICH ports for FRAID? At lease Intel pays some attention to the quality of the ASIC, marvell IMHO has turned into a low end crap ASIC maker with horrible drivers.

If you want raid, do yourself a favor and try a 3ware PCIExpress 9xxx series card from Newegg, and return it if is no good. 3ware's non-beta drivers for vista will be out q2 2007. The LSI SAS3041E-R SAS/SATA controller is the other one to look at. Im not aware of the megaraid driver status on Vista, but LSI has produced consistent drivers over the years which makes me want to try this card them most.
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

BIOS SPLASH startup image, how to shut it off?

Post by mickrussom »

Anyone have step by step instructions for disabling that awful useless annoying splash startup image with the D975XBX2?
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mickrussom »

DaddyRabbit wrote:I just sent this to Intel....
Also, I hope you are aware there are two versions of this board that effects prices! There is one with a crappy audio controller, and one with a really crappy audio controller. Thus the "full" board has the multiple digital audio outs.

See here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813121059

and Here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813121060

Also;
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bx ... ilable.htm

The product I have is:
BOX/BLKD975XBX2KR.

Lowest price is zipzoomfly and thats $210 NOW. When I bought my board I bought directly from malabs at reseller COST. The board that you might have gotten comes with a one year warranty and doesnt ahve digital out, not that that matters, but there are two flavors of this board. Just an FYI.
nnarum23
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by nnarum23 »

nvm
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Actually you could say there are 3 versions

The BOXD975XBX2KR - 3yr warranty

The BLKD975XBX2KR - 1 year warranty

other than the warranty the above 2 are identical

Then the LAD975XBX2LKR:

No secondary SATA (Marvels gone)
No digital out and STAC9227 vs STAC9274D
No Firewire
Adds AMT
Adds TPM
1 yr warranty

The LAD is for "business" use and difficult to find in retail channels

The one I have is this one
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2438

The box says "BOXD975XBX2KR" and is now 179.99 @ Tigerdirect (damn)...
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: BIOS SPLASH startup image, how to shut it off?

Post by Dandruff »

mickrussom wrote:Anyone have step by step instructions for disabling that awful useless annoying splash startup image with the D975XBX2?
there's no way to disable the image. but you can replace it by a black one. read this: http://www.abxzone.com/forums/1349366-post2590.html
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: BIOS SPLASH startup image, how to shut it off?

Post by mickrussom »

Dandruff wrote:there's no way to disable the image. but you can replace it by a black one. read this: http://www.abxzone.com/forums/1349366-post2590.html
But when I tried just that, there is still no POST messages, no nothing, only the F2 setup prompt. I want to see memory counted, HDD detected, type of CPUs detected, BIOS version displayed, etc, like a normal BIOS, like every other intel bios out there.
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

every other intel bios?

i would love this too, but i think intel thinks it's unnecessary.

seems you have to go to asus (award bios) or somthing else if you really need it ...
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mickrussom »

Dandruff wrote:every other intel bios?
Every other BIOS I have seen. I use quite a number of Intel Server boards, and have used everything before the 955 chipset more or less. This 975 should have a "normal" post.

Also, who the HECK cares about those codes, 5A, 00, etc etc, words are far easier for people to understand than piles of HEX coming out of the post.

Would be nice if the post said:
enumerating bus, checking cpu, checking memory, hard disk pre delay, initializing keyboard controller, etc etc.

Instead of :

00, 5A, ..., insert stupid non readable error codes here that may not even be errors but a normal boot but one cant tell the difference..

INTEL: People would like to know what the heck is going on during post (optionally). The splash/badge/logo is OK , but power users (everyone who buys this board, basically) would like a real POST.