Intel Bad Axe 2 (D975XBX2) mb & Video Card

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
mikeyd
Legit User
Legit User

Intel Bad Axe 2 (D975XBX2) mb & Video Card

Post by mikeyd »

I'm looking for a QUIET (fan-less), Vista capable PCI-E video card to plug into an Intel Bad Axe 2 (D975XBX2) motherboard. I'm not a gamer, but want to fully utilize the new graphics features that Vista has to offer. I've been looking at two cards, both Asus branded, one Nvidia & one ATI based. They are: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce EN7600 GS Silent & ASUS ATI Radeon EAX1600 XT Silent. I'm partial to the ATI based card because of its "VIVO" (video in / video out) feature and its impressive heat sink (a small radiator, really), which brings me to my first concern. The motherboard has a large heat sink for the chipset, and while I haven't measured, it sure looks like it will interfere with the card seating properly. So, I thought about using PCI-E slot 2 on the motherboard instead, but found Intel's documentation suggests using PCI-E slot 1 for "best performance." I called Intel's tech support and was told that slot 1 is 16 bit, while slot 2 is only a 8 bit. I'm assuming that 16 bit is a bigger "pipe," so faster data in/out, which is what I want, right - or would it not make a difference for my needs? My fall back is to go with the Nvidia based card as it's heat sink is more conventional (compact) and should fit in slot 1 without a problem.

Thanks for the input!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Hi,
I don't think the ATI card will be a problem with that motherboard. Even if it does, using the second (or third) PCIe slot won't cause any problems.
As you said the second slot is only a PCIe x8 slot, but that's still easily fast enough, even for gaming!

Welcome to the forums btw!

:edit:
BTW I deleted your two other posts in the nvidia and ati section, there's no need to posts multiple times!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

By going with the ATI card you also have an upgrade path as you could run Crossfire down the road if you ever wanted to pick up a second card.

As for a card hitting the factory chipset cooler it would be close... Looking at the pictures the heat sink comes down to the top of the bottom DVI connector, which would mean it might just fit. I plugged my X1900 into the D975XBX2 and the chipset heat sink is just below the top of the lower DVI header (only 2 rows of connectors are above the top of the chipset cooler). I think it will fit, but it will be close.

I'lll take the gamble and say that I think it will fit!
mikeyd
Legit User
Legit User

Post by mikeyd »

kenc51 wrote:Hi,
I don't think the ATI card will be a problem with that motherboard. Even if it does, using the second (or third) PCIe slot won't cause any problems.
As you said the second slot is only a PCIe x8 slot, but that's still easily fast enough, even for gaming!

Thought I had read something about the PCI-E technology not being fully utilized - being faster that what existing video cards and demands upon them are at this point.

Welcome to the forums btw!

ThankS!

:edit:
BTW I deleted your two other posts in the nvidia and ati section, there's no need to posts multiple times!
Tried to appeal to the largest possible group, but Thanks (again)!
mikeyd
Legit User
Legit User

Post by mikeyd »

Apoptosis wrote:By going with the ATI card you also have an upgrade path as you could run Crossfire down the road if you ever wanted to pick up a second card.

Don't know (yet) if this will ever be important, but..

As for a card hitting the factory chipset cooler it would be close... Looking at the pictures the heat sink comes down to the top of the bottom DVI connector, which would mean it might just fit. I plugged my X1900 into the D975XBX2 and the chipset heat sink is just below the top of the lower DVI header (only 2 rows of connectors are above the top of the chipset cooler). I think it will fit, but it will be close.

I'lll take the gamble and say that I think it will fit!
I'm going to try it! Thanks!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I think it will work... It might not even be thick enough to hit anything plus the corners look to be rounded...

Let us know what happens when it arrives.