D975XBX2 Noob Raid Controller Questions:

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
Xionicfire
Legit User
Legit User

D975XBX2 Noob Raid Controller Questions:

Post by Xionicfire »

Ok i have a few noobish questions regarding raid, i hope someone can give me a hand with this heh.

1:Whats the diference between the marvel and the intel raid controllers?

2:Whats the whole point of putting 2 diferent ones?

3:Which one is better for what purpose?

4:If the Marvel is Better, why put it as the Sata 4-7 Connectors instead of 0-3 (other than because intel likes to always be first)

5: If i create a single disk raid array and change it from the marvel to the intel port will it still work?

6: if I create a single disk raid array and install the drive on another non raid computer will it be read?

7: if a drive that has a single disk raid array dies on me, is the information recoverable by standard data recovery tools? (or does the raid controller rewrite the entire way data is stored into the disk)

Sorry for these noob questions but well they are kind of big showstoppers for me and i figured you guys might have more experience with this.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks!
Xionicfire
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Xionicfire »

anyone? heh
mattmos
Legit User
Legit User

Post by mattmos »

1. No real difference apart from marvel has support for the e-sata.

2. Intel chipset can only support 4 controllers so they needed to use another chip to support more ports.

3. Intel seems to be better for reliability, but they're much of a muchness

4. Personally I've disabled the secondary sata ports (marvel) as I'm not using enough devices to make it worthwile and it speeds up boot times.

5+6. Doubtful (but I don't have a lot of experience with raid so maybe a more knowledgable person should chime in here.

7. no idea
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

7: if a drive that has a single disk raid array dies on me, is the information recoverable by standard data recovery tools? (or does the raid controller rewrite the entire way data is stored into the disk)
Was it in RAID 0 or 1?
If it was RAID 0, the data is lost!
If it was RAID 1, you should still have the data on the drive
seanriddle
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: D975XBX2 Noob Raid Controller Questions:

Post by seanriddle »

Xionicfire wrote:Ok i have a few noobish questions regarding raid, i hope someone can give me a hand with this heh.

1:Whats the diference between the marvel and the intel raid controllers?
One thing I found during install is that the Marvell only supports RAID 0, 1 (and maybe 0+1?). The Intel supports RAID 5. My MB manual said both support RAID 5.

Sean
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

if you can i would go with raid 5, its once and a blue moon that you loose data on a raid 5.