How do I Tweak a 975XBX2 w/ e6600

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
MrStumpy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

How do I Tweak a 975XBX2 w/ e6600

Post by MrStumpy »

I confess I am a NOB when it relates to tweaking. I understand that the combo of the mobo and proc I now have are very good for OCing. Problem is I have no idea as to where to start. If anyone here has done some tweaking with this setup, and would like to share the info it would save me needing to recreate the wheel (and I would appreciate it). I have been reading anything and everything across the forms (about the e6600 and the 975xbx2) but I think I am as confused now as when I started.
Thanks for any info

Second thing. The only problems I encountered on the build was a hiccup with using a USB mouse with a PS2 converter. My XP Pro is a SP1 version and when I installed all the usb ports were disabled and the system board was smart enough to see the pass thru so the mouse did not work. I scouted up a "real" PS2 mouse and it worked fine. After installing SP2 everything came online. I also got the Marvell controller screen at boot but just turned off the secondary SATA and it went away. As far as the HD activity light I do not care if it is on or off as long as I am up and running.

Steve
975xbx2 (Bad Ax2)
e6600 - 2.4ghz (L629B369) OC to 3.0
Artic Cool Freezer 7Pro
2GB (MP) Corsair XMS2-5400 4-4-4-12 DIMM
XFX7950GT video (512m)
2 WD 160GB SATA - Raid 0 (Intel Ctrlr)
1 Segate 320gb SATA - (Marvell Ctrlr)
Antec Sonata 2 (case)
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

That's a nice machine you have there!

As for overclocking....... I can write up a quick bit for you tonight.
MrStumpy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Overclocking 975xbx2

Post by MrStumpy »

Thanks I REALLY do appreciate it. I don't need to be on the bleeding edge of speed, but I would like to get the performance up to a point where she is running tight but not necessarily dying a slow death due to over temp.

Once again thanks
Steve
975xbx2 (Bad Ax2)
Artic Cool Freezer 7Pro
XFX7950GT video (512m)
Antec Sonata 2 (case)
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

First I would recommend having a piece of paper to record what is already in the BIOS on the settings that I'm saying to change. This will let you go back to your stable configuration just in case my settings are off a little.

Alright, F2 to enter the BIOS during boot up, go to the Performance tab and then processor overrides.

1.) Leave the CPU voltage at default, no need to touch that. ;)

2.) I would enable enhanced power slope. Under normal circumstances the voltage to the CPU drops under load and when enabled this feature helps stabilize that voltage. This will help to keep your system from crashing.

3.) Set FSB should be good at 1.3

4.)MCH/ICH should be good at 1.525

5.) Set manual host clock frequency override. Go down to Host clock Frequency and up it to 334.

Now escape and go to memory overrides.

6.) Set performance profiles to manual.

7.) Set memory frequency to 533MHz.

8.) Set tCL, tRCD, and tRP to 4

9.) Set tRASmin to 12

10.) Set Memory voltage to 1.9

Save your bios settings and reboot! If it fails to load Windows go back in and change to your original settings, and let me know so we can troubleshoot.

I use this program to stress the CPU to help make sure that it's stable.
http://www.birch.net/~lindsayf/orthos.zip

I use this program to monitor temps. If this goes above 61c you should back down your overclock until you stay under while running the Orthos program.
http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

Let me know if you have any problems! This is still a pretty conservative overclock but you now have the performance of an X6800!!!
MrStumpy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Settings

Post by MrStumpy »

I tried your settings and the unit would not post. I put them back to my default and it came back up.

My current working Default Settings are:

Enhanced Power Slope - ON
FSB - 1.25
MCH/ICH - 1.525
Clock Freq - 266
Memory Freq - 667
tCL, tRCD, tRP - 4
tRASmin - 12
Memory Voltage - 1.92

I am open to suggestions. Each time the system failed to boot when I said Y to going back into the BIOS to make changes I saw that the PROC was running at 3.0ghz. I just could not get a good boot up.
Next
Thanks
Steve
975xbx2 (Bad Ax2)
Artic Cool Freezer 7Pro
XFX7950GT video (512m)
Antec Sonata 2 (case)
MrStumpy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

I finally got My 975XBX2 to 3.0GHZ with an e6600 processor.

Post by MrStumpy »

Default Setting
FSB - 1.25
MCH/ICH - 1.525
Clock Freq - 266
Memory Freq - 667
tCL, tRCD, tRP - 4
tRASmin - 12
Memory Voltage - 1.92

New Settings were what you said to make them but it took me a round about way to get there. Initially the system did not like the settings and would not post. The problem was that the memory kept clocking itself back to 667 (5-5-5-15)and then it was overclocking the memory to the point that it would not post. With the help of another guy I work with we changed each item individually and then rebooted each time we made a change. Ultimately we were able to get the system to the following settings.

FSB - 1.3
MCH/ICH - 1.525
Clock Freq - 334
Memory Freq - 533
tCL, tRCD, tRP - 4
tRASmin - 12
Memory Voltage - 1.92

I upped the memory voltage because it had a droop that I felt was causing a small amount of instability. After the last reboot everything was working well. We ran Orthos to check the temps and at the heaviest the temp was at 58C at 3.00Ghz. I am going to run more memory and stress test over the next few days and I will post any problems or issues that might come up. I also downloaded and installed the latest BIOS prior to doing the tweaks.

Thanks to all for the information and help.
Steve
975xbx2 (Bad Ax2)
Artic Cool Freezer 7Pro
XFX7950GT video (512m)
Antec Sonata 2 (case)
Ted_61
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Ted_61 »

I am also running the D975XBX2 and tried the original overclocking settings you suggested - my stress test core temp, however, went up 63C so I stopped the test. Being a relative overclocking noob, what and how would you suggest I tame the settings - I really don't quite understand what they all mean. Thanks! --Ted
Ted
MrStumpy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Overclocking the BadAX2

Post by MrStumpy »

My first suggestion is to get these two utilities. First is the Intel Desktop Control Center which you can get here:

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/software/dcc/

Next you need to get the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool or TAT which you can get here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/392

TAT tells you two things. The first is the core temp of each of the 2 cores (if you are running a (core duo processor) and second has a stress test built in that will run the processor up so you can see what the max temp you will get once overclocked. Back to DCC, with the DCC you can set you break points for you fans to fire up at a lower temp allowing the system to ramp the fans earlier as the the temp goes up. Intel suggest that you up the BIOS to the latest version before installing and using DCC. For testing I manually set my fans to max and then started testing with TAT. With the test in TAT my temps got to 60 -62C which fell with in "my" self imposed limit of 65C. My unit is stable and looks like it will operate with those current settings. The other thing you need to know (and you may not) is the info from the top of your processor. The most important numbers are the build number for the processor. Mine is L629B369. That number tells you when the processor was made and when Googled will let you see if others (with the same build) have had any issues with that particular build....ie, heat or not so easy to overclock. It will also get you info on how to OC higher than what I am running now. I am looking for a mix of speed and longevity, not just speed. My build seems to be fine in the heat department but not as easy to OC. BTW I am a NOB as well I just happen to have some smart friends and a good Forum like this one to reference from.

Hope this helps
975xbx2 (Bad Ax2)
Artic Cool Freezer 7Pro
XFX7950GT video (512m)
Antec Sonata 2 (case)
Ramanmike
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Ramanmike »

I have a similar setup:
975xbx2
E6600
2gig pny ddr 667
x1300 pro video card

Stuck at 2.7

I am having the same problem with my memory. I have tried setting each item and rebooting but the memory alway seems to go back to 667 from 533.

Was there any order that you found worked the best to do them in?

Thanks
MrStumpy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Memory reset

Post by MrStumpy »

I found that if your system gives the screen that it would not post and to go back and change settings if you leave the timing at 5,5,5,15 but set the memory to 533 then save and reboot and immediately go back into the setup and reset the timing to 4,4,4,12 it will then post. Sometimes you will need to try several times to get it to work. Mine is working great now and I only see the problem if I use ICC (Intel Control Center) to make a change or if I go into setup and make a change. Otherwise it is smooth as silk. My son wanted me to build him a similar system and Iordered the parts today. The only diff in his will be I am going to install the Corsair 800 4,4,4,12 memory and I think I will be able to ramp it over 3.4. I am shooting for 4. I will post my results here when I finish, but it will probably be a few weeks.

Steve
975xbx2 (Bad Ax2)
Artic Cool Freezer 7Pro
XFX7950GT video (512m)
Antec Sonata 2 (case)
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

If you haven’t already done so, disable 'watchdog' feature in BIOS. To do this move jumper in post setting, boot, disable watchdog, power down, put jumper back in place and re-boot. Had similar situation with inability to OC until I disabled watchdog in BIOS. No problems now, but if OC fails you have to go back and do this procedure all over again.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Quick question (OK maybe not so quick :) ) My 3.2G overclock was accomplished by:

1) setting FSB to 360
2) setting the RAM (corsair XMS2 DDR2 6400 5,5,5,18 ) to DDR 667 (5:4)

This gives me 3.2G on my E6600 and 900 on the RAM. can i get the RAM to 1:1?
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
MrStumpy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Speed and Memory

Post by MrStumpy »

That is a question better answered by othere right here. I asked so many questions here because I an a NOB when it comes to OC'ing. I hunted across the forms to get just simple tweaks to take my system up without posing any threat to the large amount of $$ I just spent. I work with computers all day long but the OTB varity does not allow for over clocking. I will ask some of the guys I work with that play with this all the time and see what they say.

What speed/type memory do you have now?
The one big thing I do know is that you need to know the info off the top of the CPU. This most times can be googled to see if the processor is better than another for over clocking.

You see the L629B369 that is in my signature is the build number and will tell location mad and the month/week/year that the processor was manufactured. Then you search by Intel e6600 and that number.
Steve
975xbx2 (Bad Ax2)
Artic Cool Freezer 7Pro
XFX7950GT video (512m)
Antec Sonata 2 (case)
Drago
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: How do I Tweak a 975XBX2 w/ e6600

Post by Drago »

Can anyone help me with my overclocking?

E6600 dual core 2 Proc.
Intel 975xbx2 motherboard
Buffalo Firestix FSX800D2C-K2G 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL5-5-5 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory
Sapphire Radeon HD 2900XT 740MHZ 512MB 1650MHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDCP VIVO Video Card
Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS NCQ Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS Hard Drive
800 watt power supply
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Hello Drago, sorry that no-one has picked up on your post yet.

Welcome to the forums!

First off, what cooler do you have? Your maximum overclock will no doubt be limited by the temperature your chip runs at, ideally around 55oC load is a safe temperature to run at 24/7 (obviously it will be lower than this when it is idling), so the better your cooler, the better your overclock will probably be.

Also what are you aiming to overclock to, 3.0GHz-3.4GHz is a nice amount to run your system at 24/7. So post back with a target and I'll help you work out what it is best to run your memory at.

For good practice overclocking you should to do the following:

1. Drop your RAM divider from the 800Mhz setting to the 533Mhz one
2. Increase your FSB by about 10 Mhz
3. Boot into windows
4. Run ORTHOS for 30mins (or run a super pi to 32million places) while watching temps with coretemp beta (max temp needs to be lower than 60oC)
5. If this or bootup is not successful then add one vCore increment (usually +0.005v or something*)
5a. If was unsuccessful before the vCore increase try windows/ORTHOS again
6. If ORTHOS was successful, then increase FSB by 10Mhz again
7. When you get to a nice overclock pat yourself on the back
8. run ORTHOS for a few hours to confirm stability, see 5 if there is a problem
9. Run memtest86+. Set test 5 looping and let that run for a couple of hours. This will check your northbridge is OK. If it fails (or hangs) increase the northbrigde (MCH?) voltage and try that test again.

*Don't put the CPU Vcore above 1.4v as higher will cause it will run too hot (and potentially damage your CPU).

You will probably be ok with just booting into windows within the first 30Mhz of FSB increments, if you can't be bothered to spend all that time checking for stability. And you might not even need to add more vCore if your E6600 is a good one. ^_^

Have fun!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Drago
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Drago »

Hi i am new to overclocking, and i want to thank you DMB2000uk for you time.
First of all what is ORTHOS?
My goal is 3.0 to 3.4 GhZ speed, my Processor temp right now runs at 29oC. How do i increase my FSB?
Can you be more detailed please? I do appreciate
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Ok, lets aim for 3Ghz for now (seen as though it is your first overclock).

Your RAM will be overclocked by a tiny bit (like 4%), so we will be playing it safe.
Depending on what RAM chips are in your modules they may be able to go a lot higher anyway (Some of your RAM model have had really good chips for overclocking) but we wouldn't be able to know for sure without taking off the heatspreaders, so we shall leave that for now.

ORTHOS is a benchmarking tool that runs a prime number finder (basically maxxes out all your cores) but it has a built in error checker so it will know if your CPU is being unstable and giving incorrect results. You can download it from here.

Everything that you need to change is in your BIOS. If you don't know how to get into that then I'm tempted to say you shouldn't be overclocking :mrgreen:

When I said to put your RAM divider to 533Mhz in my last post, now that we have established a target it will be safe to run the divider at 667Mhz.

So follow the general method in my previous post, and remember that the target FSB you are aiming for is 333Mhz, so you can stop when you get to there.
If you manage to screw up your board and it doesn't auto reset to default CMOS (so will try to boot then restart because it crashed) then you have to reset the CMOS jumper on your motherboard (look in your manual for where it is and how to reset it).

If you have any further questions/comments then feel free to post back.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Drago
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Drago »

Well i managed to get it to 3.0 Ghz. very safely
I have the ram set at 667Mhz....but i was wondering do i change the tcl,trcd,trp, trasmin setting from 5-5-5-18 to anything? Like 4-4-4-12 or anything?
My vCore is at 1.3250v and i am running ORTHOS and tests are so far good....my processor zone temp..is 50oC....system zone 1 temp is 32oc
system zone 2 is 33oc....
Should i try to change my ram settings to 533Mhz?
Isn't it better to leave the ram at 800Mhz? since that is faster? Can you explain how the ram overclocking works?

Thanks

Drago
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Memory speed is generated like this:
Memory Speed = FSB speed * Divider

So actually although you have set the RAM at a lower divider, because of the increased FSB speed it will still be running above 800Mhz.

The 667Mhz divider is 4:5, and 333Mhz FSB in that ratio is 416.25Mhz (832.5Mhz effective) so your RAM is overclocked by 16Mhz (or 32 depending on how you look at it).

^_^

Another thing I forgot to mention, was that you should use core temp to monitor your temperatures, as it is generally one of the more accurate software monitors for CPU temperature.
Drago wrote:but i was wondering do I change the tcl,trcd,trp, trasmin setting from 5-5-5-18 to anything? Like 4-4-4-12 or anything?
Well the timings that it is set at are the rated manufacturer timing, but you can choose to tighten the timings and see if it will run stably at the new timings. Before you attempt that though, you should make sure that your CPU has done around 8 hours of ORTHOS for total stability checks (and you shouldnt be using your PC when it is doing it).

Sorry, another thing that I neglected to say, was that you need to change the setting in ORTHOS to be small FFT's to stress the CPU (not blend or whatever it is default set at).

Once your CPU is deemed stable, you can then try tweaking/testing the memory. So you could then go and run memtest86+ for an 8 hour sesh to make sure that the 16Mhz (32 effective) overclock on them is stable too >_< (or not)
Then you could try setting your timings to 4-4-4-12, and see if it runs stable at those timings. Again this time you would need to run memtest for a good long session (overnight pref)
and see if that passes or not. If it fails on test 5,you need to add more MCH/northbridge voltage (They are the same thing, just called different names), but if it fails on any other test try adding 0.1v more to the RAM then trying again. If it doesnt work properly by the time you get to 2.2v then give up and put it back to stable. 2.2v is ok as long as you have good case airflow.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
rosier
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by rosier »

How do I Tweak a 975XBX2 w/ e6600???

I hope we are talking about the same motherboard the Intel "2 bad axe"? If we are then show us how to select "334" oppose to its presets or defalt?
And to 533mhz from (?); this motherboard is capable of traveling much faster mhz (8oomhz) if we are talking about the same motherboard?!
I am sure you have an explanation for you results?

1.) Leave the CPU voltage at default, no need to touch that. ;) <<<Good.

2.) I would enable enhanced power slope. Under normal circumstances the voltage to the CPU drops under load and when enabled this feature helps stabilize that voltage. This will help to keep your system from crashing. <<<Good. ;)

3.) Set FSB should be good at 1.3

4.)MCH/ICH should be good at 1.525 (I found 1.550 is a bit better)

5.) Set manual host clock frequency override. Go down to Host clock Frequency and up it to 334. <<<<<<? (Must be using another BIOS software than its own)

Now escape and go to memory overrides.

6.) Set performance profiles to manual.

7.) Set memory frequency to 533MHz. <<<<<<<<(Defaults 800mhz) and you found it is better at 533mhz??

8.) Set tCL, tRCD, and tRP to 4

9.) Set tRASmin to 12

10.) Set Memory voltage to 1.9

So from your equation this board's presets are as follows (3, 4, 5,,6) and the memory used is DDR 1066 @ 800mhz 4-4-4-12 anyway could run from 2.66 to what (?) if selection is this configuration 3-3-3-9 or what since your calculation is obtain as you put it "This is still a pretty conservative overclock"?
Also this motherboard loves 5-5-5-15 but has no problem with 4-4-4-12 by no means. Not that it is not impossible to run at 3-3-3-12 or 3-3-3- (?)<<<crucial.
:)