D975XBX2 Blue Sockets

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
Ted_61
Legit User
Legit User

D975XBX2 Blue Sockets

Post by Ted_61 »

Since I have gotten no responses to my first dilema, let me state it a different way. Is there any way to make the blue SATA sockets perform the same way as the black sockets - able to accommodate a hard drive or optical drive type?
Ted
seanriddle
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by seanriddle »

Ted-

I have used both a single, normal SATA drive as well as a 2-drive RAID 1 setup on the blue sockets (Marvell) with no problems. I have not tried an optical drive on any of the SATA ports. I'm currently not using the Marvell SATA, and I've got 4 drives in a RAID 5 setup on the Intel SATA.

What problem are you having trying to use the blue sockets? Are you trying to use both, or just the blue sockets?

Sean
Ted_61
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Ted_61 »

seanriddle wrote:Ted-

What problem are you having trying to use the blue sockets? Are you trying to use both, or just the blue sockets?

Sean
Hi Sean - thanks for the reply - I have all of the black sockets tied up with hard drives and the IDE path currently contains 2 optical drives. I am attempting to add 2 additional optical SATA drives and need to use the blue sockets. I am wondering if I should move a couple of the hard drives over to the blue sockets, set up a raid array on those, and try the opticals in the now vacant black sata sockets. From what I have read, sata optical drives can be troublesome to set up.
Ted
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

seanriddle wrote:Ted-

I have used both a single, normal SATA drive as well as a 2-drive RAID 1 setup on the blue sockets (Marvell) with no problems. I have not tried an optical drive on any of the SATA ports. I'm currently not using the Marvell SATA, and I've got 4 drives in a RAID 5 setup on the Intel SATA.

Sean
Same deal here... I haven't tried a SATA optical drive as I don't have one.
Ted_61
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Ted_61 »

Well, pretty much answered my own question(s) - I moved 2 hard drives to the blue sockets which are still disabled. Moved the 2 SATA opticals to the black sockets where they were immediately recognized and configured by XP. Now I supposed I'll make a RAID array at the blue sockets and use them for video storage - a RAID 0, I think.
Ted
seanriddle
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by seanriddle »

Ted-

I'm glad you got it working. I've moved single SATA HD's from the black to the blue sockets and they worked fine, but that's about the extent of my experience, other than discovering that the blue sockets won't do RAID-5 (like my MB manual says they will).

Sean