Help! Weird problem.

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Help! Weird problem.

Post by sbohdan »

I need help.

My rig is behaving strangely since yesterday. The CPU usage according to task manager is jumping between 20+ and 50+ % and RAM is around 6GB @ idle, when it used to be 2-3% CPU and about 1.9GB RAM. There is only Zonealarm and skype in the background as before but the cumputer is acting like it's under constant load. When I game, the RAM feels up and the game is freezing, jerky, down to 40-50fps from 120+fps. If I listen to music, the sound is jerky and there are spike noises. I checked for viruses, spyware, did complete cleanup to no avail. You see my specs in the sig. Everything was rock-solid 'till last night.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
KnightRid

Re: Help! Weird problem.

Post by KnightRid »

I had this problem and it turned out to be Windows Update! I think I went in to services and turned it completely off, rebooted, then watched my cpu and ram. If it settled down then I reactivated update and rebooted.

You can go into task manager and end task on the one causing the high usage too, plus it would tell you which is causing it. Make sure to tick the box to show processes from all users.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Unfortunately that's not it. Win. update is turned off since I installed windows. I'm think it must be an update on skype or zonealarm or maybe a hardware failing. The highest CPU usage is shown @ "system idle process" which makes no sense to me.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

As I'm writing this, there is only zonealarm, skype and a firefox browser running and this is what I see :(
I don't know wtf is going on.

sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

One more thing: The RAM is not like this right after the restart, it slowly fills up with time.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Check processes and sort by cpu usage. Make sure to view processes from all users.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

I did but I see nothing strange.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

You should see something using the cpu at least! It shows you have 72 processes running so something has to be using your cpu like that unless it is a hidden malware program. I have 81 total processes rigth now and using 9-11% of cpu and my main one is firefox using around 8% - wow, firefox is a hog lol
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

"system idle process" is using 66% right now. Firefox showing 5%, zonealarm 22%
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

ZoneAlarm seems to be the hog as in a quad core cpu that would be using an entire core for whatever it is doing! Turn it off and see what happens. Or boot without it running and see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk