Prescott Temperatures

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Prescott Temperatures

Post by Apoptosis »

Wondering just how hot the Prescott is? Today is your lucky day! We pit our 3.2GHz Prescott versus 5 cooling solutions ranging from the $20 cheapie to the $205 water cooler.

"We didn't mention specifics about temperatures in our original Prescott review since we wanted to test a number of cooling solutions. We thought you'd like to see a number of cooling solutions rather than just the one we used on our test system! We first noted an issue with heat when running the 3.2GHz Prescott at default and on the open bench with the retail heat sink. Our initial experience with the Prescott was short since..."

http://www.legitreviews.com/Reviews/pre ... ng_1.shtml

Let me know your thoughts!
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

$205 for water cooling??... I think it's gunna have to come down in price before it becomes any more mainstream than it is now.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm trying to get some O/C'd temps for you all, but I don't think it's going to happen in time. I can run 4.01GHz (250FSB x 16), but not with stability. I've taken then Vcore from 1.35 all the way to 1.61 and still getting crashes when looping burn-in on sandra. Idle temps are 53 and I'm getting low 60's when she restarts on the Hydrocool 200ex on Turbo mode.

It's getting hot in here!
Beni25
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Zalman CNPS7000-CU + Prescott 3.2 ???

Post by Beni25 »

Hi there!

I have ordered a Prescott 3.2 and a Zalman CNPS7000-CU, and this are going to fit an Asus P4C800e-Deluxe + 1GB GEIL Dual Channel DDR400 (pc3200) - Dual Channel (2x512). (for the chipset heatsink, I still dont know, cause the dimensions of the zalman are big!)

I wonder if the HeatSink (zalman cnps7000-cu) would be nice enough, to get my system on a good temperature?

My next buy, will probably be the nVENTIV MACH 2 system, but it gonna take me some months before that! <-- this is the reason I hope I dont need a water cooling system (to save some money)

I dont think I'll overclock the prescott 3.2 at start... Better with Mach2 I guess.

Tell me... are my ideas good? and... will the zalman heatsink be enough to get started?

thanks a lot!
Beni
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

I run the Zalman 7000A Al-Cu and though I love this HSF, my Prescott is idling at around 35-38*c and load is right around 50 right now. I ordered an SP-94 and will put a Panaflo fan on it.
urkraft
Legit User
Legit User

Post by urkraft »

Strangely enough i seems to get a better perfomanc eon my not-oc 3.0 prescott with the Intel standard fan than with the Coolermaster aero4 fan on ... it's like the boxed intel fan has much higer rpn than the coolermaster and that has an effect !
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

What benchmark are you using?

I'm interested in knowing some more info!
SpDFre@k
Legit User
Legit User

Post by SpDFre@k »

Got a 2.8 E @ 260 FSB 1.5v running at 50C at idle. Running 2x Seti@home 56 C. Hydrocool 200 cooling CPU and NB.

pastorjay-
What speed CPU do you have? Those are pretty good temps for air cooling.
urkraft
Legit User
Legit User

Post by urkraft »

Apop, firstly i want say that i am a newbie when it comes to heatsinks and stuff as i never had the need to do anythign with the slightly oc system i had in the past.

But to give you more infos all started when i got my prescott couple of weeks ago, mounted with boxed heatsink from Intel. Run load systems tool with Sandra and used ASUSProbe to monitor temperature and fan speed.

Immediately i noticed that idle temperature was about 51C and peak was going to 64C (with my Chieftech case +3 Case fan closed). (that with retail HS - Mobo T was about 43C ASUSP8P-Deluxe ). Q-Tec adjusted fan speed from 3200rpn on idle to 5400rpn on system load.

I thought that buying a 12V fan would help lowering the temperature of the die to get a bit away from critical temperature (68C as per intel spec) so i bught a CoolerMAster Aero4 fan.

Apart that already looking at the heatsink was clear that it requires some lapping (looks really bad for an Heatsink), but i've given it a go. So i installed and tested. Results were disappointing, fan speed has to be regulated to maximum or he fan is just not enough to cool the cpu and even with rpn fixed at 3750ish (max for Aero4) i had worse results than with the retail box. In particular idle T was 53C (close to Idle T with retail heatsink) but peak temp was 74C and was still growing when i stopped the test.

Going to do some good ol' lapping at some point on the aero4 and check what the improvment wil be, but i doubt it will be satisfactory.
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

I have had 2 x 2.8E and I currently have a 3.0E. They all ran around the same temps. I keep a VERY cool house, and have very good case ventilation. But you also have to remember, as Nathan pointed out in his review, the Asus reads tmeps on the low side.

PJ

SpDFre@k wrote:Got a 2.8 E @ 260 FSB 1.5v running at 50C at idle. Running 2x Seti@home 56 C. Hydrocool 200 cooling CPU and NB.

pastorjay-
What speed CPU do you have? Those are pretty good temps for air cooling.
urkraft
Legit User
Legit User

Post by urkraft »

That scares me even more Pj considering my ASUS is reading high-60C low-70C temperatures, if they are on the low side prolly real temp is above 80 ...

Case open and room below 24C i manage to get a load temp of 57C with intel HS ... lapping on areo4 is almost finished only the 1600 paper left to be done and already have a mirror effect ... will keep posted on my experiment ..
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Make sure you have the newest BIOS update on your board. Also are you using a thin layer of thermal compound. Make sure it's so thin you can almost see though it. Just a really light coat of compound is all you need.

Those temps seem incorrect!

Let us know how the lapping goes.
urkraft
Legit User
Legit User

Post by urkraft »

Lapping finished well now and all makes more sense.

Stress Test
Case open: 55C load peak (Sisoft Sandra Burn-in) and MB temp of 38C (16C delta).
Case Closed: 65C load peak with 43C mobo temp (22C Delta - still bad).

Idle Test:
Case Open: 47C and mobo at 38C (8C delta)
Case Closed: 57C and mobo at 43C (14C Delta)

Fan speed set at highest RPN ~3500/3550.

The Aero4 needed the lapping badly it was concave and had edges i couldn't completely remove (about 1mm) thankfully they are limited to teh edges and and far away from die zone.

I think one of the mistakes i made with installing the Aero the first time was to position the entrance of air in the fan towards the HD and the fan was sucking hot air, tonight i changed that turning the fan air entrance towards the case fan (back of the case) and gave much better results. Not great really but comparable to the ones with boxed heatsink but at a much lower noise level.

Going to try to put even less termal compound now to see if anything changes, i still have the feeling i put too much.
urkraft
Legit User
Legit User

Post by urkraft »

No significant changes with even less thermal compound (1 or 2C warmer, maybe is not enough now)

I start thinking that aybe is my case not well ventilated considering the mobo temperature. Still 20+C of delta between mobo and Cpu make me think the Aero4 is not really efficient ...
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

urkraft wrote:the Aero4 is not really efficient ...
I think it is, just not for your setup with the Prescott. I would invest in one of the top of the line coolers like the Zalman, the Swiftech, or my personal fav, the sp-94 by Thermalright.
urkraft
Legit User
Legit User

Post by urkraft »

Ok added back some thermal compound and a bit more lapping + polishing with 2000 paper. Surface was clean as clean can be. Now the delta in the quick test i have done never exceed 18C with a peak of 64C with case closed.

Surely not overclockable with this HS, but much less noisy than with boxed HS for a similar performance in heat.

Pj i was looking for the Zalman, but it seems in Italy isn't really available anywhere yet ... higher range than the Aero4 i can get the CoolerMaster Jet4 and the Thermaltake A1258 P4 Dragon .. any reccomendation ?

Thanks both btw for your help and support ! Even if i was a lurker till today i think the site is a great resource !
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

PJ! Help this man out! You are the Zalman nut!
urkraft
Legit User
Legit User

Post by urkraft »

Thanks Apot but i have solved.

Installed three new case fan (at 4 fans now) 2 outtake on the back and one outtake front + 1 panel. Cleaned cables out of the way and refined my lapping testing with different amounts of thermal gel and got my optimum performance now even with Aero4.

Closed case i am doing now 43C mobo Temp and 52C CPU Temp at peak and 33C MB - 44C CPU Temp keeping a constant Delta of 9C which is very reasonable .

I can say am i am satisfied now !

Thansk for all your help guys !