Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Cooptsu
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Cooptsu »

I'm looking into building my next pc, and am looking for something that will help me decide which processor to put with which board. I have been looking at newegg.com. What do the different cores for the processors mean? Where can I find more information on this?

Thanks for the help.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

which processor line would you like to know more about?

Intel? AMD?
Cooptsu
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Cooptsu »

Intel P4
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Well I'll give you a quick run down based on currently available processors!

here are your Intel P4 choices:

Intel Pentium 4 "B"
This is your basic P4, It has a Front Side Bus (FSB) of 533MHz and an on-die cache of 512mb.

Intel Pentium 4 "C"
This is by far the most popular current P4 processor. It has a FSB of 800MHz, and has an on-die cache of 512mb.

Intel Pentium 4 "E"
This is the newest P4 processor and comes with mixed results for current applications. It has a FSB of 800MHz, and an on-die cache of 1gb. It also has extended pipelines therefore making the performance a little less than equally clocked P4 "C's" at the same clock speed.

My honest advice is to go with a C or E processor that will fit in your budget. Later during the sumer of 2004 Intel is going to release a new socket and processor so grab something that will be able to hold you over till then. I highly advise you to read our article on the Prescott 3.4GHz processor. The charts are very useful and you can see the performance levels of many processors.

The article can be found right here
AL
Legit User
Legit User

Post by AL »

2.8GHz C with an Asus P4P800 Deluxe is a good setup. Reasonably well priced as well. But if you were worried about the money, you would probably go with AMD.