Prescott temperature not that high!!

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
huggybearuk
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Prescott temperature not that high!!

Post by huggybearuk »

I have my 2.8E running at 3.36Ghz with an automatic overclock (P4C800) cooled by Coolermaster Jet4 (low rpm i might add!) in a Coolermaster Praetorian case and I can't get the thing over 58 degrees c.. I stressed it by running Galaxies maxxed out whilst running windows update for over an hour! I really do think the Praetorian is the main reason the temp is so low.. What a case!

Just a bit worried my temps not accurate though.. Using Mobo monitor (case ambient 26 deg CPU 52-58 degrees). The BIOS also reports the same..

I hope my house doesn't burn down inadvertently! :shock:

Oh! And I never thought I'd think XP was better than Win2k until it recognised the Hyper-Threading which win2k didn't seem to do fully... My Aquamark benchmark rose 6000 points just by installing XP! Whoop! :D

Prescott 2.8E (at 3.36Ghz) air cooled Coolermaster Jet4
Asus P4C800
1024 DDR Dual pipelined
Hercules Radeon 9800XT
Antec Smartpower 350w
2x 80gig Western Digital 7200rpm
NEC ND2500 black
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm sure that you saw our Article on Core Temps, but in case you didn't take a good look at that article. As the article states the BIOS and software utilities use the same temp probe and calculation so if they are different something is really going wrong!

We have found that ASUS boards run a bit on the cool side, but overall temps are not all to bad with these cpu's.

XP Pro really is not that bad! Many didn't leave w2k because they thought it was the best, but for my use XP Pro is the way to go.

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the post! Now you just need 4 more posts to be able to register for the Corsair XMS memory give away!
huggybearuk
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by huggybearuk »

Yeah I did see the article I was just worried cos I couldn't see anyone that has the Prescott that cool under load without water cooling! Thanks for your reply! I have it up to 245 fsb now (agp and memory locked), but the vcore is set to Auto (still get very low temps - mind you i live in the UK and the sun never shines :). Overclocking any further causes problems, but not temp related. Is there any rule to setting the Vcore and how does changing it affect the CPU dissipation? (Still a bit of a newb!) Thank god for the crash free BIOS on the p4c800!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'd try to keep the Vcore under 1.7 or 1.75 on the prescott for the traditional air cooling setup.

The more you increase the voltage the more leakage the cpu will produce thus lowering its lifespan (no biggie), but also increase the temps due to this (is a biggie).

Ive crashed the bios on my p4c800e-d! Nothing is crash proof, as if you let me use it I'll show you! LOL
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Apoptosis wrote:Ive crashed the bios on my p4c800e-d! Nothing is crash proof, as if you let me use it I'll show you! LOL
I second that statement!! :lol:
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Illuminati wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:Ive crashed the bios on my p4c800e-d! Nothing is crash proof, as if you let me use it I'll show you! LOL
I second that statement!! :lol:
Ouch!