Newbie Heat Sink Compound Question

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Moondoggy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Newbie Heat Sink Compound Question

Post by Moondoggy »

I admin to being a newbie when it comes to putting systems together so I'm trying to get a feel on what I should do.

I bought a Core I7 920 CPU and the unit came without any heat sink compound. The person helping me build the system told me that I would need to get some from the local parts store (no problem). Another person said that the PSU fan already has a layer of film on it that should be used instead of compound. I asked the person helping me and he said that the film is not enough if your going to overclock the cpu (which I probably won't do) and that he applies a bit more compound in addition to the film. Another frield that puts systems together says that this is unnecessary. As a newbie I'm confused as to whom to listen to. Can anyone provide me with any additional insight?
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Newbie Heat Sink Compound Question

Post by InspectahACE »

The stock Fan that comes with the i7 cpu..or any processor for that matter, will have some thermal paste on the heatsink already..Yes you can get better compounds..but it's all ready to go out of the box technically. If you're going to overclock that 920 , then not only a better thermal compound will be needed, a better heatsink will be definitely needed also.. Personally, If you're not going to overclock..then I would wipe off the stock paste(with denatured alcohol or similar), apply the newer better compound and install the stock fan..

Also..using both the stock and aftermarket compound at the same time isn't a good idea. one or the other
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Yup a new cooler should be in your budget soon. The stock cooler will be ok, but in the long haul its loud and doesn't do as good as an after market cooler.

The stock cooler TIM (thermal paste) is just fine for everyday use, if you upgrade I would switch it out for something like Arctic Silver 5 (referred to as AS5 sometimes) you can get it at any Radio Shack.

Clean the CPU and the Cooler base with 90% isopropyl alcohol (can be found in any pharmacy) and a cotton swab. Let it dry, reapply the new TIM and reinstall the cooler.

This is the chart from my last cooler review, it shows how much an after market cooler helps. ~$50 (to start) can drop your load temps a fair amount.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

id strongly recomend a xigmatek cooler, ive had their Red Scorpion RS-1283 cooler for a little less then a year now and its been fantastic especially for its price, you can pick one up for less then 50 bucks. Its one of the "direct connect" hsf's on the market but its kept my q9450 cool and quiet. as far as compound Artic silver 5 is the reigning champ, its cheap and its good stuff.

spending less then $100 to prolong the life of your proc and allow you to overclock is worth it to most folks.