Intel Core i7 920 Processor Whines - help!

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel Core i7 920 Processor Whines - help!

Post by ibleet »

I have a hard drive that whines, so I know exactly what you mean. But it whines constantly and not like the OP describes, which is why I didn't figure it was the culprit. My whiner is a WD 60GB IDE drive. It's a very high pitched whine and extremely annoying.

And Yes, you should be able to RMA the board for just about any reason you see fit.
Lorenx
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Lorenx »

The noise I am experiencing is very similar to the one on this video, only mine tends to stay on constantly once it starts.

Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Same noise here Lornex, but with my ceiling fan and the volume of the TV I usually never notice it. If I'm by my HTPC it will drive me nuts though.
matt9b
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by matt9b »

OP, I can confirm that I have the same specs as you, the same motherboard, cpu, and powersupply, and my CPU too whines 50% of the time. It does this when I maximize a window for example. It would therefore appear to be a design fault/quirk.

Either way, these are supposed to be quality components, so I agree that it is unacceptable to be honest.
temporary
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by temporary »

Just to confirm (I signed up just to make this post and help any future googlers/users) - I have the same motherboard, same chip - had the same problem. Upping the voltage sorted it out exactly as OP said. Hmm.