Xeon Processor Upgrade Advice Requested

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
LordDarkStar
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Xeon Processor Upgrade Advice Requested

Post by LordDarkStar »

Greetings to all!

I am a noob to this forum as well as to the world of Intel processors, and I am in need of some advice from those of considerably more experienced. :prayer:

Recently, I came into possession of an IBM IntelliStation Z Pro, type 6221. I wish to upgrade the processors. I have found a pair of processors which the vendor describes as:

"SL72Y 3200DP/1M/533 IBM FRU 77P0907"

Trying to find information on IBM's site about this processor was a exercise in frustration. ](*,) I was able to determine that the processor was not listed as an upgrade option for my specific model and type computer, but I'm unsure whether it is due to a compatibility issue or if it is because IBM discontinued support for the system :?

IBM lists this processor as the top processor for my system:

"Xeon 3.2 GHz/2M Cache /533 FSB/CPU SL7AE (FRU 13N1510)"

My current processors are:

"2.8GHz/533MHz/512K (FRU 59P4845)"

From the information I have been able to find here and elsewhere, I do not see any appreciable difference between the SL7AE and the SL72Y that I am being offered. However before making any commitments, I wanted to ask 'Those Who Know' (more) if these will work or not?

Thank you for your time and attention. I look forward to your replies! 8)

Frank
The man who does things makes mistakes, but he who doesn't makes the biggest mistake of all - doing nothing.- Benjamin Franklin