New Processor & MB - keep old OS?

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
tplowe
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

New Processor & MB - keep old OS?

Post by tplowe »

If I swap out my MB and processor for new equipment will the system boot normally without any changes to the OS? I am running WXP SP3. Going from P4 to i7. Am going to upgrade OS to W7 Pro after this to take advantage of 64bit.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: New Processor & MB - keep old OS?

Post by bubba »

It might, but it will go ape with driver issues and such.

If you jump chipsets its always best to reinstall the OS. Just makes life easier.

If you do do it, make sure the stuff you want to keep is backed up.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
stereo55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: New Processor & MB - keep old OS?

Post by stereo55 »

Thats a pretty big jump in chipsets . XP was not that great for that big of a transistion change (from past experiance) , and I think you'll probably get a ... no boot / bsod /or boot freeze at or around the XP logo .

If you had Win 7 installed already , then I'd say you'd have a much better chance of not having to do an os reinstall .
* i7 5930K @ 4GHz 1.085v - Corsair H100i GTX - Asrock x99 OC Formula 3.1
* Sandisk Extreme Pro 480gb - HGST NAS 3TB - 2x WD Blue 1TB - 32gig Crucial 2133 - EVGA 980 Ti Classified - Corsair 780T/Seasonic 760 Platinum
* LG 34" Ultra Wide - Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5" - LG WH16NS40 Blu Burner - SoundBlaster Z - Klipsch 4.1's/Altec center channel
* Windows 8.1 Pro/Windows 10
* Retired game rig i7 920 @ 3.9 - EVGA x58 - still going strong!

Heatware