Comparison Help

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
MultiSync
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Comparison Help

Post by MultiSync »

Hi,

I'm looking to get a new laptop, and I'm a little behind on my knowledge of processors. I was hoping someone could help me make an educated comparison.

I currently have a 3-year old Dell laptop with a Intel Core2 T5600 @ 1.83Ghz (running on vista, with 2gb of RAM.)

The model I'm looking at is an Asus, featuring the Intel Core2 Duo SU7300 @1.3 GHz (Windows 7, 4gb RAM).

I've read that simply comparing GHz is no longer accurate - so can I still expect better (or at least comparable) speed from the new model?

I use my computer a lot, but I don't do any video editing or gaming. Mostly just firefox/outlook/word, occasionally photoshop.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Comparison Help

Post by ibleet »

MultiSync wrote:I use my computer a lot, but I don't do any video editing or gaming. Mostly just firefox/outlook/word, occasionally photoshop.
Seriously if that's all you use your laptop for, then your current Dell is more than adequate. Why spend the money if you don't really need to? If anything, just optimize your current laptop since you already have a Core 2 duo, and upgrade to Windows 7. That alone will give you a nice boost.

You could go with like a P9500 or a Core i7-720QM Clarksfield, but I really don't see the point.

I have a 2 year old Dell E1705 with a T7200 and I have no intentions of upgrading. I keep it optimized and it does everything I need it to and more.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Comparison Help

Post by stopthekilling77 »

I don't like to post out but Anandtech is widely read here too, so MultiSync, give this article a read, it only takes about 15-20 min and you'll know what to look for and possibly what model too http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3685
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz: