CPU Upgrade question

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

CPU Upgrade question

Post by [email protected] »

I want to upgrade from a duo core CPU/ 775 socket to a quad core CPU / same socket (775) can I re-use the fan I have now?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: CPU Upgrade question

Post by Major_A »

It depends if your motherboard supports the CPU. You might be limited to the older Q6600 instead of a Q8300-Q9650. Find out what board you have and then check out what is supported on their website.

Welcome to the forums.
Last edited by Major_A on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I would wait till 2011. Intel is coming out with a new socket, good-bye 1366. Light peak is going to be new to everyone. I'm just waiting till 2011. I think you should too. 2011 is going to bring a lot of new tech. such as native usb 3.0., pci-e 3.0., light peak, UEFI goodbye bios. Internal 3tb drives. Don't waste your money on a 775 socket. Time to move on. :)
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Thanks,

I dont think I was clear. I want to upgrade the CPU, from duo to quad. The 9550 fits in the 775 socket (the duo is in), but will the new quad CPU need a different fan? The one I have on the duo is a good one, plus I'll save a few bucks.

Thanks again.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I know what you are asking for. Just remember that the 775 socket has no more support. In my opinion you should just move on. The 775 socket is dead. Not worth the money to even try . I have a socket 775 QX6700 and that is my oldest rig. I have a Core I7 860 that just smokes the 775 socket. I also have a Core I7-980X. I would wait till 2011 and save your money and build a new rig. I would not buy another cpu that fits a 775 socket. Quad core or not. With the Core I7 you get 8 cores. With the 775 socket you get 4 cores.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

[email protected] wrote:Thanks,

I dont think I was clear. I want to upgrade the CPU, from duo to quad. The 9550 fits in the 775 socket (the duo is in), but will the new quad CPU need a different fan? The one I have on the duo is a good one, plus I'll save a few bucks.

Thanks again.
Just because they share the same socket doesn't mean that a C2Q will work. If you are using an older northbridge chipset the "newer" 775 quad cores may not work. The fan will work fine but your current motherboard might not boot with the newer CPU. Like I said before you need to figure out first what CPUs your board supports.
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

OK,

When I ordered the computer the Q9550 was an option for the Elite G41T-M MB. But I am also concerned about having to change the BIOS and compatability, I'm hoping the tech will call me back.

Also, yeah the new stuff sounds awesome but right now this is running a DAW and is just working a bit too hard. A Q9550 is much better than my E7500 so For 250bucks I'll take the extra power now.

While I've got you, will a separate video card help the system,(disable the onboard) right now video is set at its very lowest, because you only need basic color to run a DAW, but sometimes the audio will stutter when moving graphics etc. I think thats the CPU also.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Post your full system specs for us to look at, and include any other pertinent information.

*EDIT*
If you don't know then use HWiNFO32 to get that information for us.
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

The Manual says its an intel G41 northbridge chipset. Intel ICH7 South. It supports 1066 and 1333. Intel lists G41 compatible with Q9550. The tech called me and said it should work, but I may have to change a setting or two in the BIOS.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

What make and model board do you own? Or are you updating a Dell, HP, eMachines, etc...? You asked about the video card too. What card do you have? This is why I pointed you to HWiNFO32. I believe there is a generate report option that includes a system summary.
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Elite group G4t-1-M Motherboard, with onboard graphics.

What an awesome little program that is. I put it on both computers.Thank You! This site wont let me upload the .HTM report.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

No problem. Don't upload the report, just open it up and paste the info here. Just be sure you don't include your Windows product key/serial.
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Computer Brand Name: ECS G41T-M

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (x64) Build 6002
Service Pack: Service Pack 2

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
Original Processor Frequency: 2933.3 MHz
Original Processor Frequency [MHz]: 2933

CPU ID: 0001067A
CPU Brand Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel
CPU Stepping: R0
CPU Code Name: Wolfdale-M
CPU S-Spec: SLB9Z
CPU Thermal Design Power (TDP): 65.0 W
CPU Max. Case Temperature (Tcase_max): 74.1 °C
CPU Type: Production Unit
CPU Platform: LGA775 (FC-LGA8)
Microcode Update Revision: A07
Last edited by [email protected] on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Man that's a long list. You can actually go ahead and edit that post and remove all that. Pop in the Q9550 and it should be good to go, shouldn't have to clear the BIOS either. Take a look at the two heatsinks you'll have and see which one is beefier and use that with the Q9550.

*EDIT*
After looking at ECS' website your board actually has a BIOS update that you might want to apply. It fixes an issue where the CPU PWM fan wasn't working correctly.
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Produc ... =1&LanID=9
After you land there look for the Download link in the middle of the page then click the BIOS link.

*EDIT 2*
Scratch that last edit. ECS is an idiot. Heaven forbid that that have one board named G-41T-M, instead they have 15. HWiNFO32 didn't tell me but you'll have to figure out what the letter is after M. If you don't know it's usually silk screened on the motherboard. Sometimes by the PCIe slot other times by the front panel headers.
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Thanks again.