Intel Pentium 4 550 Prescott 90nm NORMAL TEMP?

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
CPUskills101
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Intel Pentium 4 550 Prescott 90nm NORMAL TEMP?

Post by CPUskills101 »

Hello and thanks for your time.
I have an Intel Pentium 4 550 Prescott 90nm @ 3.4 gigahertz in my computer.
I am wondering what the normal temp range during idle and load is for this CPU.
I installed speed-fan and during idle its around 45-50º Celsius and under load it goes around 65-70º Celsius. I understand that this processor has TM1 throttling as a safety mechanism if it gets too hot, but I don't want my CPU to have a short life.
I also have a cool little program that detects if its throttling called Throttle-watch.
When I run it when its under load at 70º Celsius it isn't throttling.
I have done lots of research about this and have found other threads about the same heat issue concerning this CPU. From my research it seems to me that this temp is normal for this processor. Can I get a confirmation?
What is the average lifespan of CPU's like this one @ this clock speed?
Thanks
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel Pentium 4 550 Prescott 90nm NORMAL TEMP?

Post by kenc51 »

Those temps are fine, there's nothing to worry about.

Regarding how long the CPU will last? Can't say for sure. Most will last 10yrs or more, some less.
Heat is only one factor that determines how long the CPU lasts, manufacturing defects also contribute to this.

I've never had a CPU die (without my help), the motherboard & or PSU tends to die first and by them time they do, the pc is already obsolete