Comparing compact to standard...

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Maverick3n1
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Comparing compact to standard...

Post by Maverick3n1 »

I recently purchased a small netbox that has an Atom D525 processor in it. The specs read that the processor is a dual core 1.8ghz processor. I have an old AMD64 single core processor that runs circles around this however. How do you compare compact/netbox/netbook processors to desktop? I thought a dual core 1.8ghz processor would be more than enough for HD video content. I thought wrong, even running on linux with a 2gb stick of ram and a SSD HDD. Things run much smoother on my old AMD XP 64 (one of the originals that came out that were single core). I know the netbox uses a substantially lower amount of power (I think something like 4w per core) instead of the AMD processor that's probably closer to 30+w. Any clue as to how to calculate what the equivelants are, so future compact processor system purchases meet up more with my expectations?
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Comparing compact to standard...

Post by pwcmed »

Does it have an ion gpu in it? Which net top did you get? The onboard GPU on an atom CPU is pretty week, maybe you can return and get one with a ION GPU in it. That should enough to play HD content.
Maverick3n1
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Maverick3n1 »

pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

Yea without the ION GPU those ATOM chips struggle with HD content. I've been looking around for a simliar setup and this is the one I'm getting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6856107072

I have a HP DM3 laptop and was very suprised on how well it ran, this net top has similiar specs on it. I had to tweak it a bit to run HD but once I found a good CODEC it would everything I threw at it. The bad thing about this one is that it only has one memory slot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6856173006