what the hell?

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

what the hell?

Post by sbohdan »

I wasn't sure where to post this but because it's about the CPU score in Vantage, so I thought this would be the place.

when I put together my new rig and first tested it @ 4.5Ghz this is what I've got for the vantage score:

I then proceeded to OC the CPU and the GPU further and got this:

I was never able to repeat the above CPU test2 score no matter what I've tried. I'm at a loss here. does anyone have any idea what happened? As you can see the CPU1 score actually went up but the CPU2 score dropped to 33 OPS from 259 OPS...

any ideas?!

BTW, I've even tried going back to the same OC as before and even going back to default but that just resulted in even lower score.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: what the hell?

Post by XstollieX »

If I had to guess, it is the way your system is handling the PhysX. In the NVIDIA control panel you can dictate if PhysX is handled by the CPU and the GPU. Play with that and I'm sure you'll be able to repeat your first test
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

XstollieX wrote:If I had to guess, it is the way your system is handling the PhysX. In the NVIDIA control panel you can dictate if PhysX is handled by the CPU and the GPU. Play with that and I'm sure you'll be able to repeat your first test
thanks. I,ve tried that and no change. same score when set to CPU or gPU. I will try to uninstall the VGA driver and reinstall it. maybe that will help. will report back. any other ideas are welcome.
Last edited by sbohdan on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

installed the newest driver and there is no change :(
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

has to be something up with the NVIDIA video card because PhysX isn't enabled now.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Apoptosis wrote:has to be something up with the NVIDIA video card because PhysX isn't enabled now.
how do you know this? what could be wrong? you think the card is damaged?

CPU-Z shows physX being enabled:

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I know it for a fact as the GPU score went from 70k to 20k and that mirrors what you'd see when PhysX is disabled on the benchmark.

what about the 3dmark setting menu... can you post up a screenshot of that? Make sure none of the post processing check boxes are flagged.

If none are I wonder if this is a driver bug... I still can't get F@H to work on my NVIDIA GPU...
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

here is a screenshot of the vantage settings. there was only one checkmark by default (disable ppu):

I've unchecked it, ran vantage and the score improved a little but not as before:

should I uninstall the present driver (270.61) and install an older driver in case it is a driver bug? if yes than which older driver would you recommend? (I have win7 64bit)
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

I'm beyond my wits on this. I just came back from a trip and just out of curiosity I ran 3DMark Vantage again. the computer was not used for 3 days and I haven't changed anything on it and low and behold this is what I've got as a result:

Can anyone explain to me what happened beside the obvious fact, that physX seems to work now?
what the hell?!