i7 980x Extreme Edition, help with identification

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
feedthebirds
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

i7 980x Extreme Edition, help with identification

Post by feedthebirds »

I have a kind of long story, the summary of which is I need help identifying which Intel processor exactly it is that I have.

The story:
I won an intel i7 980x Extreme Edition Core processor at the 2010 SDCC. As I am computer illiterate when it comes to the inner workings of my machine, I listed the processor on eBay. Below is the picture of the exact box I received from Intel.

Short version of the story: I shipped the processor to my buyer. The buyer opened the box and claimed I sent him a Celeron D. He sent me the product back and I was forced to refund him, even though it is very possible he indeed received the correct processor and has sent me back something completely different.
This is where I need help. I don't know what I got back.

I did check the chip and it does indeed say "Celeron D" on the back.
Here are photos of the fan.

This is from another angle. It looks damaged or used. Is this slightly off color/bent(?) metal normal in a processor or is it definitely a sign of damage and previous use?

I realize the probability that Intel sent me the wrong (or a wrong and USED) processor in the correct i7 980x box is very small. Also, in the box were instructions for the i7 Extreme not the Celeron D, which make me think even more that I was scammed.

I was going to try to call intel and ask them to help me identify my products, but I thought the internet is usually faster and more knowledgeable than a low level sales rep. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: i7 980x Extreme Edition, help with identification

Post by XstollieX »

Do you have a shot of the processor?
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

It should say right on the top of the cpu what it is.

Like this.

And yeah you probably just got scammed by that little **** and he just sent back the CPU cooler with an old cpu. Never refund imo.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

I think that guy scammed you.
The CPU cooler is the correct one for the i7-980X (or for any of the higher end Intel CPUs); I've bought a Celeron D in the past & they give you a basic, small aluminum block cooler with it.
I don't think Intel will make a stupid mistake like that...giving you a Celeron D instead of a i7.
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
feedthebirds
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by feedthebirds »

Is the chip the actual processor? Below:

So, basically, the "fan" or "cooling system" that I showed above is correct for the i7 980x, but the chip (pictured above) is incorrect (obviously, since it says "Celeron D")?

I had no choice in the refund. I told eBay my case but they still ruled in the buyer's favor. (So now I'm out eBay fees, shipping fees, and paypal fees. Brilliant).

I was going to try and trace the serial number listed on the Celeron D chip through Intel customer service.
Which is the serial # - the number listed after "Philippines" or the one on the bottom listed by the square icon?

Thanks again for the help.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Did you contact 2010 SDCC that sent you the cpu? Unless you do, your out of luck. I think you got ripped off. You should have been up at least 900 dollars. Next time, open the box and verify what's inside before you try to sell it and ship it out.
I feel your pain. Let us know the outcome.
feedthebirds
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by feedthebirds »

The reason I didn't open it first was 1) trust in Intel and 2) I didn't want to break the seal and devalue the product (whereby it wouldn't be "New In Box" anymore). Even if I had verified the product, I doubt eBay would have ruled in my favor. I faxed them my side of the story (with proof of Intel's "congratulation" tweets to my account) and they still ruled in buyer's favor. In their defense, it is a he said she said deal at the core, but I'm not sure they even ASKED for the serial number let alone tracked it down.

SDCC had nothing to do with the giveway, it was all conducted at the Intel booth. I plan on contacting Intel on Wednesday, my day off work, but most likely their response is going to be "not my problem".