CPU TEMP

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
gooner2004
Legit User
Legit User

CPU TEMP

Post by gooner2004 »

Hi, I read your review on " Prescott Temperatures Examined "

My case is a kind of Lian Li case :-

2x Silent Fans at the front to bring the air in
2x Silent Fans At the back to blow air out
1x Silent Fans on top to draw the air out
1x Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler

My cpu temp is about 47-49 normal use (no games) and I get lots of negative feedback about my Temps !
It runs at about 60oC playing games
My motherboard Temp is 35oC

47 is to high, cofirmit in the bios, Then get some decent thermal paste and re seat you're heatsink
your temp is too high my cpu runs at 32/33 at normal use thats with 2 of my fans switched off
60 deg is to high For the CPU (mines 45 at worst with far cry) what does it idle (or intenet use) at temp wise, Im using just the standard intel cooler

Any Ideas or reply will be much appreciated

Ive got :-

P4 3.20(e)ghz
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
1GB Corsair DDR XMS3200C2 Pro TwinX
2x74gb WD Sata Raptors
Hansol 17" LCD
BTC DVDRW IDE1008
GforceFX 5900 256mb DDR
SecuGen Biometric Mouse
Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu CPU Cooler ( Fan running at 2360 )
1.1mbps ADSL
550w PSU, XP pro
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Its your Zalman, while its a good cooler and runs very quiet there is a trade off. Any time you try to save on noise your going to get more heat. There are a few things you can try. You can try lapping your heatsink, i just did mine the other day and i saw a 2-3c drop in temps. Using Artic Silver 5 would help another 3-5c. The last option is to use a larger 120mm fan. A large fan can move lots of air at a low rotaional speed. This alows you to keep your system quiet and reduce tempretures as much as 10c total. With out using a differnt heatsink or water cooling i dont think your going to get you computer much cooler than that. The temps you are seeing are what i would expect out of a quiet/silent heatsink and a prescott
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
gooner2004
Legit User
Legit User

Post by gooner2004 »

So my pc (cpu ) wont blow up at these tempratures :)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

No. it will not but that is a bit high. i dont like my cpu to get much over 55 infact i have an alarm that sounds at 60c so i can turn up my fan. What that kind of heat can do is decrease the life of your cpu and the power mosfets on the mobo. its a good idea to lower that tempreture but its not like you need to panic.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

47-49 C isn't that bad!!! I have the 3.2 E and regardless of where I OC it i get from 45-49 C at idle, about 50 load. An hour and a half of C&C Generals gets me around 55C.
I used the Zalman, really liked it and thought it did a good job, the I used the thermalrite SP-94, not a big difference, then i switched to a Danger Den W/C system.
Everything was within about 5-7 C....until I lapped my CPU. That dropped the load temp almost 10C. Look into a premium lapping kit and touch up your CPU.
My other suggestions are not to overdo the thermal paste, i think if anything people tend to use too much, then it liquifies, and ends up on their mobo where it causes hotspots or shorts. If anything, I think your board temp is a little high at 35C, mine is constant at 29C, I got my ambient teps down about 3 C switching to Panaflo fans, they push serious air and are extremely quiet
Last edited by LVCapo on Sun May 30, 2004 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I think alot of those people are using northwood CPUs, Prescotts burn hotter, but I get a great OC and my load temps don't increase much at all.
As I said, try this, in order
1. Lap your CPU, the heatsink will need it also, but I think alot of people overlook lapping the other side of the equation.
2. Improve the ventilation in your case, the 120 can help with that, but without hacking up your case you can replace stock fans with Panaflos, the best fans around. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little noise for good cooling. Also remember, that you need good cool air coming into your case. It doesn't matter what heatsink and fan you are using if it is just circulating warm case air.
3.Arctic Siver 5 is awesome stuff, just make sure you use a small dab, not too much. Also I have been reading alot of people using rubbing alcohol to clean parts and surfaces. Use pure alcohol or nail polish remover, there is no lubricant in those. Rubbing alcohol has a lubricant in it that reduces heat transfer.
4. Mess around in you BIOS, not every processor is the same, try increasing your memory voltage and try decreasing your core voltage. Right now I'm at 3.808 at 1.38 V-Core and 2.85 memory voltage. I'm running sisoft sandra to find the swqeetspot (best performance) and wriyting this and my temps are 45C/31C
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

capper5016 wrote: Also I have been reading alot of people using rubbing alcohol to clean parts and surfaces. Use pure alcohol or nail polish remover, there is no lubricant in those. Rubbing alcohol has a lubricant in it that reduces heat transfer.
HOLD ON!! you got a good idea capper but wrong information. DO NOT USE RUBBING ALCOHOL OR NAIL POLISH REMOVER! both will leave resudue on the surface of what your cleaning. What you want is denatured alcohol, you can pick it up a any wallgreens (or most pharmacys for that matter) they keep it behind the counter so you will have to request it and just make it clear that its for cleaning electronic componets. Denatured alcohol contains almost no water or other contaminates the bottle i have is 190 proof. Rubbing alcohol is usualy 30% water. Nail polish remover has acetone and last i checked it was not a good idea to have that around your computer
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Also, one other thing. i just switched out my ASUS P4C800-E Del for a Chaintech 9CJS Zenith board, and couldn't be happier. I was very happy with the ASUS board when i had a 2.8 E, but nothing but problems with it after moving to the 3.2. As someone else pointed out, the voltage spikes are a real problem for the ASUS boards.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

That was what i was trying to say about the rubbing alcohol, it is not good to use because it has an anti abrasive lubricant in it. I actually heard the exact opposite about nail polish remover, having seen it in a few spots about lapping, and mentioned more than a few times in Max PC
But take Infinite's word over mine, he is far more knowledgeable and I would take anything he said as the gospel. Very good man.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

I dont think even i would take my own word as gospel. but thanks for the vote of confidence.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

LOL, you da man around here. I know I take anything you might say as the truth.
gooner2004
Legit User
Legit User

Post by gooner2004 »

Thanks for you replys guys I will be doing a refit of my CPU and your advice in the next few days I will let you know what happens 8)

By The Way
Ive got 2 Serial-ATA HDD (2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10000RPM) connected to my Intel chipset as RAID 0.

How should I partition the drives. E.g 2x 74.

As ive got them both at the moment =

C = 46.1gb
D = 92.3gb

Thanks again
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

with them in a raid config you can partition them any way you want and still get all the preformace you want. so its totaly up to you on how you want your partitions to work. i would suggest buying a 160gig drive to use for backing up your raid array. just because if a drive ever falls out of the raid or if one has problems there is not data security with raid 0.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

and it has been shown that some of these imaging software programs, Norton Ghost for example, are having serious problems restoring or even cloning drives that are set up in RAID arrays. Go get a 80-120 GB HDD and use it to back up and as storage.
Last edited by LVCapo on Mon May 31, 2004 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gooner2004
Legit User
Legit User

Post by gooner2004 »

Sorry Im back again,lol :lol:

How good is the Heatsink that comes with my CPU (Intels retail heatsink) as Ive not used it......Do you think my Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu would be better :?:

:lol:

Nevermind I think the Arctic Silver should do the job 8)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

without a doubt. Do not use the stock heat sink and fan with a Prescott, the Zalman is the lowest I would go, and even then make sure you have the fan either turtned all the way up or have the fan controller removed. If you are going to air cool it i would recommend the Thermalrite sp-94, or any other heatpipe assembly for that matter,.
The stock setup will barely let a Prescott run at base settings, forget about any overclocking at all.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

The Zalman should preform better than the intel heatsink. i also looked up the zalman an i dont think that lapping the heatsink will help but lapping the cpu might.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I had the Zalman and wasn't enthused with the temps. I tried lapping it and it didn't really do alot, if anything at all, the surface was already very smooth.
I lapped the CPU and got really good temp drops, the cpu was very uneven, but i didn't realize it because it was very smooth. Lapping the cpu will have a big impact on your temps.
the only drawback to the Zalman is the size of the fan and the amount of air it moves. If I were you, and didn't want to invest in WC, I would look into a SP-94, or even that Aerocool Deep Impact, the heatpipe technology is coming into style, and it does worth better than most air cooling solutions, but not as good as watercooling
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Geez, that thing is a monster!! I wonder how hard it is to mount, I know the SP-94 wasn't too bad, but gave me some grief depending on the board I used.
I wonder how this thing might react to a chipset cooler? or something like that T.O,T.E.S. on the Abit board? Definitely an interesting setup.
I'm glad I went to water. I tried several of those exotic coolers, and never saw enough of a difference in temps to justify the cost.