Overclocking a 2600k - Halp ^_^

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Phoenixz
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Overclocking a 2600k - Halp ^_^

Post by Phoenixz »

Hello,

first of all, I tried to check on the forum topics if what I'm going to ask wasnt answered already, but, if it was, I'm sorry, I couldn't find it .
I'm really new to anything related to Overclocking, I just build my first rig 3 weeks ago and only started "overclocking" 7-10 days ago.

Before I post my questions, let me say the pieces..
Asus Sabertooth rev3 (bios version 2103)
i7 2600k (d2)
Corsair AX850W
Cooler H100
2x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz (9-9-9-24-2 1.5v)

At the moment I have it overclocked to 4.6ghz:
AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
BLCK Freq: 100.00
Turbo Ratio: Enabled (All Cores)
By All Cores: 46
Internal PLL OverVoltage: Auto
Mem Freq: 1600mhz @ 9-9-9-24-2
EPU Power Saving: Disabled
Load-Line Calibration: Ultra High
VRM Freq: Manual Set to 350
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Contorl: C Probe Current (I belive its the equivalent to Extreme, but on Sabertooth)
CPU Current Capability: 100%
CPU OverVoltage: Manual
CPU Voltage: 1.38v
DRAM Voltage: 1.5v
VCCSA Voltage: AUTO
VCCIO Voltage: AUTO
CPU PLL Voltage: AUTO
PCH Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Ratio: Auto
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Enabled
Intel Virtualization: Disabled
Intel SpeedStep: Enabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled
CPU C1E,: Enabled
CPU C3 and C6 : AUTO
Intel Virtualization Technology: Disabled

To test the stability:
Intel Burn Test at MAX 30 cicles (Ambient 30º,max CPU temp: 57, Max Core Temps: 66, 71, 70 69)
Linx at MAX 25 cicles (Ambient 30º,max CPU temp: 55, Max Core Temps: 65, 69, 68, 68)
Prime95 10hours (Ambient 31º,max CPU temp: 57, Max Core Temps: 67, 71, 69, 68)
Battlefield 3 for 4 hours (Ambient 27º, max CPU temp 45º, Max Core Temps: 52, 54, 53, 54)

My question are:
Is there anything I can change on bios to be able to use a lower Vcore or changes that could affect temperatures somehow?
Should I be setting manually Vccio / Vccsa / Cpu Pll Voltage?
Should I change CPU current Capability?
About the way Im testing the stability... is it overkill or its correct? (I'm asking this because I could play bf3 with the cpu at 4.7ghz @ 1.395v, but couldnt get it stable on Intel Burn test even at 1.420v)

So many question =/, if someone is really pacient and willing to help a nub, add me on skype/msn/anywhere .

So, the last ones .
I would like to know what is the "common" agreement on what is a "safe" Vcore for 24/7 (suposing there is one )
I'm trying to set a 47 or even a 48 multi for daily use but I really would like to learn how to tune the settings to get my pc to the limit :[ (just for fun, Im really enjoying doing this), right now I cant get it stable at 4.7ghz even with Vcore 4.25v, thats why I decide to ask for help .

Anyway, thanks for any help and Im sorry for the english mistakes, its not my native language.

edit: I don't know if this information is important or anything, but, I could get to windows and open webpages / a few programs (real temp / cpuid / ai suite...) at 5.0ghz @ 1.44v (I really don't know if this information matters, just posted because I friend told me to do it :I)
edit2: Link to pics of my bios settings, http://imgur.com/a/vJIur
Phoenixz
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Overclocking a 2600k - Halp ^_^

Post by Phoenixz »

;'[[
I really would like to find a way to learn why Im changing the settings and not just adjust it cause I was told to, but after reading everything I found in the last 2 weeks, I couldnt figure how, yet =)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Check out this guide. http://forums.legitreviews.com/post195436.html#p195436 It's not the same board but it should do. Bye the way, you don't need to post on every single web site to get help. You came to the right place. :)

Edit: Your CPU voltage seems low. Can you set it to Auto?
Phoenixz
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Phoenixz »

vbironchef wrote:Check out this guide. http://forums.legitreviews.com/post195436.html#p195436 It's not the same board but it should do. Bye the way, you don't need to post on every single web site to get help. You came to the right place. :)

Edit: Your CPU voltage seems low. Can you set it to Auto?
Hello, thanks for answering :D, Im reading the topic right now. I can set it to auto, not sure what you mean :D (sorry if its a simple question, I didnt understand it :D, I can set it to offset -0,005 stable (there are 3 options, auto/offset/manual option), but again, Im not sure if thats what you meant :D)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Try auto/offset
Phoenixz
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Phoenixz »

vbironchef wrote:Try auto/offset
Tried Offset and its actually better, running at 4.7ghz 100% stable, max voltage is 1.416v on IBT/Linx (74ºC on the highest core), 1.408v on Prime95 (68ºC on the highest core), but never above 61ºC while gaming :D, iddles at 1.02v :D
Its set Offset+0.02, had to icnrease vccio to 1.0815 (after BSOD 0x9C at +0.03v, ending up stable at +0.02v) :D

I'm sorry for posting on multiple forums, but, it took so long to get an answer (1week+, on almost every single forum (got an answer on 3/19 topics created) ...
gonna use that setup for daily use, but I already got 4.8ghz/1.440v~ and 4.9ghz/1.470v~ both stable... while I dont learn more about tweaking the cpu, I'm trying to learn about how to OC the graphic card :D

:axe: :axe: :axe: