Overclocking Problems

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Overclocking Problems

Post by Samskip »

Hello everybody,
I have some overclocking problems and I hope someone could help me.
I have a Intel Core I7-870 3,8 GHz 1,3V, when I overclocked it I ran Intel Burn Test for 12 Loops on Maximun settings and it succeeded, after that I ran Prime95 for 18,5 hours and it was stable, for 3 weeks it
ran fine, no problems, but after 3 weeks I got BSOD and a few days later again and again. And when I run Intel Burn test on Max settings again It succeeds. But a few days later I get BSOD again and again.
I don't know what to do anymore. My CPU temps are on full load: 60-68 degrees Celcuis. I have Intel speedstep and C1E enabled.
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E
CPU cooler: Corsair H100
Powersupply: Corsair TX 650W V2

I have also a windows 7 problem:
Normally you have intel speedstep enabled on windows 7 power settings: energy saver and balanced mode, but I have only Intel Speedstep on energy saver????????

So, I hope someone could help me.

Thanks in advance.
Intel Core i7-870 OC 3.5GHz / MSI HD 6950 2GB / ASUS P7P55D-E / Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz / OCZ Agility 60GB / Western Digital 1TB Black / Corsair H100 /
Corsair TX650v2 / ASUS Xonar DX / Aerocool XPredator Black Edition / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Overclocking Problems

Post by Major_A »

Sounds to me that the RAM isn't completely stable. I've had RAM that I thought was stable, and it was in 95% of apps but every now and then it would BSOD. Try giving the RAM more voltage or adjusting the timings to looser settings.

If you have Company of Heroes that game picks out RAM instability better than any app I've ever encountered. If your RAM is the least bit unstable the game will crash. Another thing to try (to see if it is a RAM issue) is run the longest SuperPiMod run. If the program crashes or gives you an error it is 99% likely a RAM issue.
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/36 ... _v1.5.html

*EDIT*
One other thing to add. You might want to check for an updated BIOS. A lot of BIOS revisions fix instability and incompatibility issues.
Latest BIOS on ASUS' website for your board:
Version 1504
Description P7P55D-E 1504 BIOS
1. Improve memory compatibility
2. Improve system stability
3. Update CPU Level up function
4. Update Marvell Option ROM
5. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpus ... uage=en-us
File Size
1,05 (MBytes) 2011.01.17 update
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_ ... /#download
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

Thankyou for your Reply.
I ran the longest SuperPiMod run and it succeeded.
I also ran one loop of Memtest86 and it succeeded to, no errors.
I acctualy didn't overclock my RAM it is still at 1600MHz, I left the voltage at 1,5 volts but I changed the settings from (133x12) to (200x8) so I could reach my 3,8GHz (200x19) overclock, maybe I did't something stupid: I changed the
memory settings to (200x8) as you can see above but I left XMP on, so I didn't have to set the timings myself( to close out the possibility to set the timings wrong).
I haven't got the game Company of heroes, and I updated my BIOS to the newest version a few weeks ago, to see I it would solve my problem, but it didn't.
Also I have the CL8 kit of the corsair vengeance 1600MHz Ram.
If I need to turn up the voltage, how much do I need to turn It up? ( I am a bit of a noob in overclocking )

Thanks
Intel Core i7-870 OC 3.5GHz / MSI HD 6950 2GB / ASUS P7P55D-E / Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz / OCZ Agility 60GB / Western Digital 1TB Black / Corsair H100 /
Corsair TX650v2 / ASUS Xonar DX / Aerocool XPredator Black Edition / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Try 0.025V at a time. So start out at 1.525V and see if that helps. If not then bump it to 1.550V, etc... You probably don't want to go over 1.65V if you can help it. You might need to adjust the voltage of your CPU too. If it's too low then it can cause crashing and reboots. Try the RAM first and see how it goes.
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

Ok I'll try.
Thank you
:)
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

Major_A thank you for your help but my PC is still crashing, I have my memory voltage at 1,65v now and I dont want to go higher,
so I don't know the problem but maybe my PSU has not enough wattage to power my system (corsair TX650 v2) :
Intel I7-870 3,8GHz
HD 6950 2GB ( powercontrol settings +20%)
Asus P7-P55D-E
Corsair H100
Western Digital 1TB black
Corsair vengeance 1600MHz CL8
Ocz agility3 60GB
80GB Toshiba 5400rpm
Asus Xonar DX
Fan controller
4 led fans

Is that enough wattage (650w) to power my system?
Is it maby the cause of all my BSOD? (I get always a BSOD when I am gaming)
Thanks in advance.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Your power supply specs are fine. If you have a multimeter you can check the voltages to see if there's any dips or spikes, but it should be ok.

I don't see any mention of your temps...
How hot does the CPU get?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Good point. Neglected the temp issue. Another thing to add. Let's say your RAM was unstable and it BSOD'ed. Maybe the act of the BSOD corrupted a Windows file or two. So now for all you know the PC is stable but Windows is messed up. Try running a scannow check and verify that Windows is working as it should.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15 ... ecker.html
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

Thanks for your time guys
My temps are:
Idle: 32-38C
Gaming (60 min Crysis 2): 42-49C
Pirme95 small FFT 's (60 min) 62C
I used scannow but it didn't find anything.

Also a lame windows 7 thing: in control panel/system it is saying: Intel Core i7-870 @ 2.93GHz 2.53GHz
now, 2.93 is default speed but 2.53GHz????!!!!
but the normal BCLCK speed (133) and my current multyplier (19): 133x19= 2527 ???? I think that is weird
And a final thing: intel speedstep isn't working but it is enabled in the BIOS

Thanks
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Windows isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. My old processor at 3.83GHz would still show up as 2.83GHz (stock). Your best bet now is to grab a multimeter and monitor voltages. If you don't see anything out of the norm there then you might want to reinstall Windows and see what happens. From the sound of it there isn't a rhyme or reason to the crashing.
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

Ok, I'll see,
but do you know why Intel speedstep isn't working?
it it enabled but is isn't working

Thanks
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Do you have the latest bios for your motherboard installed?
For all you know it's stable and as Major_A said, windows could be corrupt.

You could also try disconnect the 2nd HDD and any non-essentials and re-test. This might help diagnoise a psu issue, if you don't have a multimeter.
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

Ok,
I have the latest motherboard BOIS installed
Thanks for all your help guys!
:)
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

If you're running a Performance power plan in Windows then speed step won't work. I used to use High Performance to eliminate it, now I keep it on Balanced.
Power Plan.png
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

So, speed step should work on balanced mode, if so than that is the porblem because i have it on balanced but speedstep is isn't working.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Balanced is supposed to enable Speedstep. How old is your Windows install?
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

About 5 months now.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

At this point I'd back up your data and try a fresh install of Windows. If you rule out hardware as the culprit then the software is the next place to look.

Couple software apps to try first.
Latest Intel chipset drivers:
http://majorgeeks.com/download/17175/In ... d1667.html
This may install some software or it might not.

Latest Intel Rapid Storage Drivers (this is only if your running your drives in RAID or AHCI in the BIOS):
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm ... uctID=2101

Latest video card drivers:
AMD
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/ ... n7-64.aspx
nVidia
http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/41048
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

What are your temps for your graphic card and did you try change any settings w/graphic card. Would not hurt to pull your graphic card out and give it a good cleaning. When you put it back in, reset graphic card to stock speeds. Also reset your motherboard to original settings. Basically start from settings from the factory. That should rule a lot of things out.
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

Thank you,
I installed the chipset driver but it didn't ask me to reboot, next I downloaded the rapid storage driver (I thaught I needed it because my OCZ Agility3 is running in AHCI mode) but when I want to install it it gives me this error:
This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.
( maybe my fault, i dont know if I need it)
And my norton 360 gave me a warning that presentationfontcache.exe is using 100% of my CPU power??????????

Thanks