Overclocking Problems

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Overclocking Problems

Post by Major_A »

Did the chipset software install anything? If so then you might have to reboot to install the Rapid Storage Technology software/drivers. After the reboot verify your board is running in AHCI otherwise the RST software will never install.

For the fontcache issue take a look at this.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... e5395304da

vbironchef has a very good point. If you don't want to install Windows put everything back to stock and see if you still have problems.
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

My videocard temps are:
idle: 40C
load: 68-72C

My computer runs fine without the overclock ( without overclock I have no BSOD and intel speedstep works fine ) but after my overclock it goes wrong because all the stresstest are saying that my pc is fully stable but still it crashes ( that's why I called it ''overclocking problems'' and that's why I came here for help and to find out what was wrong.

It said that the chipset installation was completed but it didn't need to reboot ( so I don't know if it installed the latest version), and when I want to install the rapid storage technology it gives me that error I posted in my previous post so I cant install it (after a reboot it still gave me that error). And, yes, my board is running in AHCI mode.

Thanks in advance.
Intel Core i7-870 OC 3.5GHz / MSI HD 6950 2GB / ASUS P7P55D-E / Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz / OCZ Agility 60GB / Western Digital 1TB Black / Corsair H100 /
Corsair TX650v2 / ASUS Xonar DX / Aerocool XPredator Black Edition / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I have a Asus board. When I overclock I use the ASUS TurboV EVO software that comes with the board. Not sure how you were OCing before. Just trying to help. :) Your board has the same software. I looked it up. Works great for me and gives a stress test after every overclock.
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

I appreciate that you want to help. :)
I don't use turboV evo because most people say it isn't stable, and overclocking through the BIOS is more fun.
Intel Core i7-870 OC 3.5GHz / MSI HD 6950 2GB / ASUS P7P55D-E / Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz / OCZ Agility 60GB / Western Digital 1TB Black / Corsair H100 /
Corsair TX650v2 / ASUS Xonar DX / Aerocool XPredator Black Edition / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Not all cpus overclock the same so maybe your just trying to push the cpu to far. How does it overclock @3.6?
Edit: Just one more thing I can think of. Does your motherboard have a little switch on the top right of your motherboard? It should be just above and to the right of the last memory slot. I believe that little switch can help with your overclock.
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

At 3.6 I have the same errors: 2.Speedstep not working 2.ramdom BSOD but stresstest say it is fully stable.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Did you check to see if you have that switch. If you do, it allows for a higher overclock.

Edit: It's called DRAM overvoltage setting (3-pin OV_DRAM) This jumper allows you to enable or disable the DRAM overvoltage settings in the BIOS
Pins 1-2 (Enable OV) up to 2.5V
Pins 2-3 (Default) up to 2.0V

important: before you change the jumper settings for extra-high overvoltage ability, use the BIOS items first to adjust the desired DRAM performance.
Ensure your system functions well under the highest BIOS voltage settings before you change the setting or the jumper.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

If Speedstep is enabled in the BIOS but it isn't working in Windows then this sounds like Windows issues. Open up your Power Plan again, just to make sure. Set it to Balanced and apply. Now under Balanced select Change Plan Settings then select Change advanced power settings. Scroll down to the option for Processor power management. See what the settings look like in there.
AdvancedPowerPlanOptions.png
AdvancedPowerPlanOptions.png (36.13 KiB) Viewed 18261 times
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

First off, do whatever Major_A says and second read this: http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guid ... -i3-i5-i7/ after that I can't help you.
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

Major_A the settings are the same as the picture you posted.
Congratulations on your 3000th post!

And I know how to overclock I used that guide to learn it :)

vbironchef, I think you don't understand my problem: ramdom BSOD but stresstest say my overclock is fully stable.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

What is your RAM like (2X4GB)? Try one stick at a time and see if you still get a crash. To me this still sounds like a RAM related issue. What are you running your VCore at and what is stock (i.e. OC - 1.4V, stock 1.2V)?
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

My ram is (2x4GB), I'll try one stick and see what happens.
My Vcore is:
OC: 1.3V
Stock: 1.1v (I am not sure of the stock voltage)

About speedstep, my windows wants to download a power management driver and when I download it, windows downloads AMD cool n quiet drivers?????????
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Maybe 1.3V isn't enough. Have you tried playing with that?
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

1.3V is enough for 18.5 hours of prime95
I have tried 1.325V but I got BSOD
I haven't tried further.
I'll try.

I also pulled out my 80GB Toshiba drive to see if that caused the BSOD, haven't got a BSOD yet but we will see.
Is there any driver for speedstep?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

No driver for Speedstep that I'm aware of.

As you said it could be that drive. A few years back I had a PC that would randomly BSOD. There was no real rhyme or reason to it. After accepting that it wasn't going to stay stable I just went with it (it was my HTPC, so I couldn't break it down or miss recording some TV). Then for the course of a week it kept crashing and crashing. Finally after reading tons of BSOD 0x0000000 errors I finally found out the damn PATA cable connected to my DVD ROM was causing the crashes. I swapped out the ribbon cable and it ran fine for the rest of the time I used it. Don't let Windows automatically reboot and be sure you write down every BSOD code you get. It could lead you to the problem.
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

This is the BSOD error I got:

Stop 0x0000003D
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Are you using the Marvell controller on your motherboard? Seems like this is actually a hardware issue. From what little I read a few posts mentioned the Marvell 91xx controller in their error logs.

Try updating the Marvell drivers.
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm
Sorry I don't know if you have the Marvell 61xx or the Marvell 91xx so I didn't link directly to the download.

Also look into updating your JMicron drivers.
ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/Windows/
Again, I don't know how your JMicron driver is working right now. So be sure you download the correct driver.
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

I've updated both drivers, now i have to wait what will happen.
Samskip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Samskip »

Now I got this error:

Stop 0x0000003B
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

This apply to you?
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hotfix-A ... 3045.shtml
It appears that users running Cyberlink YouCam have come across the glitch, and have had their computers crash.
After the next crash (hopefully there won't be another one), but if there is include the issue.
Example: 0x0000007 IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL