Sandy Bridge Overclocking Question(s)

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Sandy Bridge Overclocking Question(s)

Post by Major_A »

I am playing with my first Sandy Bridge CPU and I'm confused. I have an Intel DZ68BC motherboard and the i7 2600K.
1st question: Do real motherboards (i.e. ASUS, Gigabyte, etc...) have options to adjust the multiplier? Right now the only way I can "overclock" is by adjusting the Turbo Boost multiplier. This doesn't seem like a real overclock or is it? Right now I have all 4 cores to use a 45 multiplier. I think stock goes something like (1 core - 38) (2 cores - 36) (3 cores - 35) and (4 cores - 34).
2nd question: What is a reasonable VCore to run on a Sandy Bridge? While trying to figure this thing out I'm not sure what too high is.
3rd question: Should I play with the Turbo Boost voltage settings or just mess with the VCore?

Thanks in advance.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Sandy Bridge Overclocking Question(s)

Post by vbironchef »

This guide might help you. Let me know if it does. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... e-OC-Guide
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Sandy Bridge Overclocking Question(s)

Post by Major_A »

Bookmarked, thanks. So playing with the max Turbo Boost is overclocking. I guess I'm still used to the old, adjust FSB, VCore and check for stability. I can get the CPU stable at 4.5 with 1.325 VCore. The problem is if I stress the CPU the temps shoot to the 90s.