Intel i7 Notebook Processor? 2.4ghz+

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
wreakreward
Legit User
Legit User

Intel i7 Notebook Processor? 2.4ghz+

Post by wreakreward »

Hey guys, I'm new here andI have a quick question. I just have this old Asus laptop of mine, with a i7 2720qm (sandy bridge) 2.2 ghz. Wondering what I should buy to make my games run smoother (currently very choppy, BF3: all options on low, AA post turned off and aniso. at 1x, 20 fps at Native Res. (1920x1080) and 45 at 1280x720. I was thinking of an i7-2620m or an i7 2760qm, any feedback on which CPU/where I can buy it in Canada would be great! Thanks
KnightRid

Re: Intel i7 Notebook Processor? 2.4ghz+

Post by KnightRid »

First off, your cpu is fine for gaming, it is your graphics that suck.

I honestly do not know why people try and game on a laptop but if you must you need the highest end video card you can find! I know Alienware used to have some gaming laptops but no clue since Dell took them over.

Oh and dont think you will get one for $500 either ;)

You would be better off to build a desktop system so you can actually upgrade the video card and components for at least a few years, unlike a laptop where it is very hard or even impossible to upgrade video stuff.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
wreakreward
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wreakreward »

Ahhh that's very true, I just assumed off the bat that it was my CPU because when recording with Fraps the frame rates got unbearable. I do have a GTX 560m (2gb DDR5), but your probably right, its not performing as well as it used too, and even then it wasn't great; the laptop itself is not even 3 months old. I tried to find a GTX 580m because I saw them in the new m17x's, but I couldn't find one website that sells laptop GPU's, it seems the market for any type of laptop upgrades is minimal if anything, and only then its generally just the RAM or hard drive space that you can tamper with. I have made a future build for a desktop, but I'm low on cash considering the laptop was around $1400. This will probably be the last time I'm going to buy laptops for any type of gaming, but It's not too bad. Thanks for the help!
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

If you don't specifically need a laptop I would consider selling your laptop and building a desktop. With the laptop being so new you should be able to get over $1000 for it. I have built gaming desktops for three friends in the in the last month specifically for BF3 and all of them came in under $1000.00, and run the game great. Well two of them do so far - the third one was a super budget sub $500 machine that is using a ATI APU processor that is being built this weekend.

*cost didn't include monitor or mouse and keyboards..
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
wreakreward
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wreakreward »

Yeah I have made a build without keyboard and screen, it came in around $1288 and this was the ideal for me. I'm sure i could knock off probably 300 from it, and it'll be perfect. I recently sold my garbage Macbook Air In November of 2011 to have enough for the Asus, with about $200 more as a Christmas money, and I was going to sell my Asus for a desktop. The only issue is I just don't want my parents assuming I sell every computer I buy withing the a few months, and waste money, therefore not lending me any money if I built a desktop and say need a monitor or new keyboard. I'm probably going to half to wait a month before I can make enough for those parts, or If the buyer of my laptop only gives 900 lets say. Ill post the desktop build specs, I'm just not sure where on these forums I could do that, and hopefully I can get some feedback on what I should keep, and what I can replace for cheaper while still maintaining the power.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

just post it under the General Computer Forum topic. People will be more than happy to offer you suggestions.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
wreakreward
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wreakreward »

Alright thanks man