IGPU Power consumption

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Ibrihim
Legit User
Legit User

IGPU Power consumption

Post by Ibrihim »

A while back I tried to find out how many watts on cpu graphics used. Best answers were along the lines of "not much and less when using a discrete graphics card".
I now note the i3 products ending in "P" have no graphics and a 7w less power draw. Also many mother boards now offer options to overclock and increase voltage to the igpu - if I've read the specs correctly . Finally as a 2550k owner I wondered if I still had any Igpu power drain. After all best opinion I got was the igpu was still on chip but not used. No one said zero graphics power used when running a 2550k. Any clarification much appreciated .
John P. Myers
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: IGPU Power consumption

Post by John P. Myers »

Pretty sure on the 2550k, Intel lasered (as is their usual method) the on-die GPU connections so it ends up drawing no power at all since the circuit to it is broken. But you are right that it is still on the chip wasting space.
Ibrihim
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Ibrihim »

John P. Myers wrote:Pretty sure on the 2550k, Intel lasered (as is their usual method) the on-die GPU connections so it ends up drawing no power at all since the circuit to it is broken. But you are right that it is still on the chip wasting space.
Thanks and I agree , yet Intel quotes the same TDP for the i52500 and the i52550 ok it is 100Mhz faster. In the Ivybridge i5 range you have the i53350P which claims no graphics and the identically specced i53450 except the addition of graphics and those graphics raise the TDP by 7w. I would have thought Intel would boast of the i5 2550k having a lower TDP if it had one. Or is my i5 2550k graphics still buzzing away on some sort of idle with only the (flawed?) output lasered off.
redwanhasan
Legit User
Legit User

Post by redwanhasan »

intel HD2000 of my i7 2600 had an around 3W consumption. However i7's TDP is 95W, specified by intel, when i fully load the cores it consumes around 85W. Though its hard to believe that this intel HD is consuming 10W!

if you even turn it off, it still shows a 0.2W power draw.
Core i7 2600
Cooler Master Hyper 412S
Gigabyte GA Z68A D3H B3
16GB Dual Channel 1333MHz
MSI GTX660OC 2GB SLI
Corsair CX750
ASUS MS228
Hitachi 1TB 3Gb/s, WD 2TB 6Gb/s

http://redwanhasan.blogspot.com/2011/01/me-my-blog.html