Haswell range of CPUs

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Mike10
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Haswell range of CPUs

Post by Mike10 »

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Haswell range of CPUs

Post by Apoptosis »

The Core i7-4770K is where it is at! I hope Intel HD 4600 Graphics is a nice boost over Intel HD 4000 Graphics!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Mike10
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mike10 »

The fact it's 4600 and not 5000 suggests to me that it will be a modest evolutionary upgrade, rather than massively better. I reckon it'll be 20-40% faster, no more. Not that it wouldn't be welcome, of course.
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

Not that this really affects most users of this CPU family but it bugs me that VT-D and TXT are not supported on the 'K' processors if this chart is in fact correct. Again, it really doesnt affect most but for some reason it bugs me.
WIntel
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by WIntel »

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but outside of the HD graphics and updated instructions what is the difference between this and the Ivy Bridge? I mean the speeds, cores, and L3 seem to be same.
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

Its the microarch revamp. Just like Nehalem -> Sandy Bridge was. Same 22nm process, but new instructions, sockets and other things. It is expected to have a new cache design and have better power saving features.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

I really hope Intel will change back to the soldering technique between the core and the heatspreader, from using cheap TIM. This disquisting downgrade has stopped me from changeing to Ivybridge. If the continue to do this in the Haswell, I'm not getting it for sure. So when are the first ones expected to be out?
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

So has anyone any info on the way the heatspreader is attached on Haswell's? Are they soldered again or just use the el chipo TIM like on the Ivy Bridge? :?

UPDATE: I have looked around and found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXs0I5ku ... r_embedded
UPDATE 06/02/13: Haswell just launched, and it looks like Intel did not change the manufacturing process of the thermal paste. Haswell still uses paste instead of solder between the IHS and die.
So it seems we still have to get the heatspreader off, to fix this major design flaw. Shame on you Intell! :evil:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=