Virtualization Technology (vt-d) on mother board(Intel DQ87P

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
naveen99
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Virtualization Technology (vt-d) on mother board(Intel DQ87P

Post by naveen99 »

I'm looking to buildapc with Vt-d enabled(because i use Virtual machines alot on top of the OS) i need some help in understanding Vt-d on Motherboard vs Processor.

The processor i choosed was i7 4770 which is Vt-d and Vt-x enabled. If the processor is vt-d enabled do i still need the motherboard with Vt-d enabled?
I looked at some of the intel motherboards compatible with i7 4770, I saw some differences in virtualization on mother boards i have choosed (Intel DQ87PG, DH87MC, DZ87KLT-75K). The comparison chart on the Intel Website shows that DQ87PG is VT-D enabled but the others are not. http://ark.intel.com/compare/70898,70903,69045

So my question here is If the processor is Vt-d,Vt-x enabled do i still need the motherboard to have Vt-d enabled in order to run virtual machines on top the OS?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Virtualization Technology (vt-d) on mother board(Intel D

Post by Major_A »

It is my understanding that Virtualization (accelerated) was all done on the CPU side. From what I can gather on the comparison site is most of the Advanced Technologies that are ticked on the DQ87PG are closely related to laptop features.

Unless you already ordered the Intel board I'd say look elsewhere, see Gigabyte or ASUS.